Blackdragon Sail Loft Grand Opening

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Today, the upholstery shop closed.   

It's the grand opening of the sail loft.  We switched from straight stitch to zig zag and smaller needle with finer thread.  1 subassembly down.   4 more to go...

I had always thought kit sails would be a poor alternative to a professional job.   As it turns out, the materials and cut are as good as any you can get at a professional loft.   The only difference is how much care and attention you put into the job - something completely in your control.   No reason this shouldn't turn out to be a nice A-sail. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

No Hawaiian leopard spots?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

It's actually made from synthetic materials.   Once the sail has it's complete shape, then I add the design elements.    Don't worry, it won't be a big white sail...

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Sorry to announce the Blackdragon Sail Loft is now closed.  We appreciate the business from all our patrons over the last number of weeks.

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jack Hutteball

Hats off to you Steve, that is one awesome sail :clap
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Michael Shaner

Now that's gotta make everybody smile! Super sweet sail man!!  8) 8)
Michael & Alison Shaner

Susan Ray

Very nice sail....should scare away any pirates...is that (now sad looking) main next?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ken Juul

Who did you get the kit from?  First I have heard of a diy sail.  As the sail material is much thinner than canvas, do you think you could have sewn it on a regular sewing machine?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

waterdog

I bought the kit from Sailrite:   http://www.sailrite.com/ 

I think it was just over $1000.   The kit had 49 panels and you can select any color you like for any panel.   

This could be done with a home sewing machine.    The tough parts are the corners where you need to stitch through 6 layers of dacron, two layers of webbing and four layers of nylon in places.   With the right needles, I think it could be done.   The instructions suggest hand stitching the corner patches if your machine won't go - I think that would be a big job.   Maybe you run into a local upholstery shop to have the corners stitched.   A sail maker would be a better choice, but I'm not sure how excited they would be about facilitating kit built competition.   

It's a very straightforward project with easy to understand instructions.   You are on your own if you want to inlay a dragon/hawaiian leopard spots or whatever.   Just cut out whatever shape you want with soldering iron, stick it on with double sided tape, stitch the perimeter, cut out the background fabric and stitch over your cut line.   

When it's time to do my main, I will definitely buy a kit.    Dacron is easier to work with than nylon spinnaker fabric.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Albreen

Well done - nice looking sail.  :clap I have been thinking of doing a headsail for a while now and this may be the inspiration.  A few years ago, I bought a mainsail kit for my previous boat from Sailrite and agree with everything you say - these are great kits and the quality of the sail is in your control. I would recommend however to anyone attempting a mainsail with 6-7 oz dacron to invest in a good sewing machine. The home machines cannot tension the thread for the type of construction required. I suspect you would probably have a difficult time with a lightweight cloth too. The Sailrite machine has a 7 lb. fly wheel to punch thru the fabrics and maintain steady sewing speeds whereas home machines struggle with this.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Michael Shaner

Ken, without a doubt, I think you should definitely pick one up...and see if you can talk Steve out of his sewing machine while you're at it... :D
Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve Sayian

Steve,

What were the dimensions you used for your sail?

I'm interested in buying one from Sail Rite too.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

waterdog

Steve,

I ordered the stock A-sail from their list:

CATALINA 34 STANDARD ASYMMETRICAL Luff 43.72*ft (13325mm)
Foot 22.28*ft (6790mm)
Leech 40.22*ft (12259mm)
Perc LP 165*

Area 731*ft2 (67912mm2)

I never confirmed the dimensions.   I just built the thing and lived for about a week thinking for sure they had shipped the wrong sail.   It was enormous.   It went from the top of my stairs through the front hall and to the far side of my living room.    I had nowhere I could lay it out.   I just kept sewing on faith hoping that blindly mating panel 43 to panel 44 was the right thing to do.   It wasn't until I flew the thing that I actually found out it was the perfect size.   The only thing I would do differently is make my sock about a foot longer - better a bit short than catching on the clew I suppose.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

All right Steve.  You've forced a confession.

It wasn't all beautiful.   I was with my buddy, a power boater - you gotta grab whatever unemployed people are available.    I had to test the spinnaker.   It was blowing maybe eight to ten knots.   Didn't do anything fancy like raise a main and blanket it nicely.    I couldn't wait until the sock was finished.   

So...

Organized the sheets.   Got the tack set up off the furled jib with my fancy hand stitched double D ring slingy thing.   Then it was just a simple matter of pull on the halyard, right? 

Just in case, I made my buddy put on his vest too and showed him where the knife hangs on the pedestal...   

So I jumped the halyard.    Not nearly fast enough.   It kind of went "whumph" and "bang" and all of a sudden I had a full spinnaker about two thirds hoisted with the bottom ten feet dragging in the water.   And in no time were doing six knots.   

Now I've only just put in the spinnaker halyard.   Riggers says leave it at the mast - don't need it aft.   I can tell you that 400 lbs plus hanging from the halyard would not get the sail up and out of the water.   Had to blow the sheet try again.   Pulled it down and ran the halyard aft (I trust my rigger but not enough that I would cut the extra fifteen feet off the halyard).   

Eventually got it all sorted out.    I flew it again a few days later with a sock and I have to say that it is not nearly as exciting...

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Steve - Ah, that sounds fun! Sunday would have been a great day for an A-chute. There was only 5-6 knots of breeze, but favorable current and sunshine! But alas, the winds are so flukey in the San Juans that I usually don't even want to bother trying to setup my whisker pole, then having to gybe it ten minutes later. So, I'm pretty happy that I invested the funds in the Kiwi prop instead. It works on all points of sail. I just lost .3 knots of motoring speed over my 15x10.5 3-blade.

I appreciate that you have a different set of objectives for your upcoming adventures.

Craig