Sherwood water pump & Rebuilding a Water Pump LINK

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

I've got some weeping and would like to replace the impeller. It appears as though I have a peculiar water pump....does anybody recognize this pump? Perhaps a source for a rebuild kit or at least the impeller and gaskets? Thanks in advance...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Braxton

I have used Torresen Marine for my hard to find parts.   They're pretty expensive but no more then ordering through your local chandlery would be.

I am a little confused by your post.   Are you implying that the pump is a Sherwood pump and thus peculiar or that it is peculiar and thus not a Sherwood?   I have the Oberdorfer and thus can only confirm that yours is not an Oberdorfer.

If yours is a Sherwood then you should be able to find what you need here:   http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/?p=results&kw=sherwood+impeller&x=0&y=0.

Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Michael Shaner

Braxton, it is indeed a Sherwood, but everybody else's looks like this...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

Michael's question is based on the fact that I couldn't help him.  The pump cover does say Sherwood, but I have not seen this style on an M25 before.  All the Sherwoods I have seen have the 3 mounting screws on the motor side of the pump housing.  

It was after hours when I looked at it, had my clean clothes on.  The model number may be found after removal and cleaning,  but I didn't take the time Saturday night.  Then again it might be on a tag held on by one of the screw heads that was long ago lost.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Michael Shaner

Crisis averted, found everything BECAUSE...(whisper)... :shock:...it was all in the WIKI...!!!  :clap :thumb: 8)
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Michael, now that you got it, here's a link to what looks like your pump.  It's called the "old" Sherwood pump.  Torrensen's also got the new pump in the group index.  For those who aren't familiar with the Torrensen and marinedieseldirect websites, you should bookmark it, as well as using the wiki and the manuals on our C34 website.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200142-56&model=M-25%20/%20M-25XP%20/%20M-25XPA&manufacturer=Universal&title=Sherwood%20Water%20Pump%20-%20300986&quant_position=&catalog=200142&printparts=&printservice=&printoperators=&comment1=
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Michael Shaner

and for the record, the globe impeller part # for the "old" sherwood is 1130.

It was once known as "The Proud" Sherwood M-5 before being demoted to "the old sherwood". Perhaps I have the last of the known "old" sherwoods? Who knows, it may be a nice addition to a maritime museum somewhere...once she finally gives up the ghost of course!

And again, thanks Stu. If you hadn't had a hand in the wiki evolution I'd warn you to watch out...it may give you a run for your money! :wink:
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Michael,

Thanks, but give credit where credit is due.  While I played a hand in the development of the original Projects & FAQs, which are the backbone of the new wiki startup, I did not do the wonderful work of transferring them from the older "static" pages to the wiki.

The May 2009 Mainsheet magazine will discuss that work, and ALL of the thanks are to Ken Juul, Craig Illman and Jon Schneider for ALL of that work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Craig Illman

Michael - I think there still will be opportunities for Stu to identify "wiki-worthy" threads to consolidate, classify, edit and archive.

Craig

Stu Jackson

OH BOY, Mike, NOW look what you've got myself into!  :D :D :D :abd:

Momentum M

Guys...while we're on the subject of pump...that reminded me of the problems with the belt being locked in by hoses of the pump.

One thing we have to remember is that the belt will probably let go when the motor is running (!!!) and that means that your under way in a channel, approaching a marina, etc..... (and at the worst time) and if the belt goes you won't have much time to replace it.

What I've done is I removed the existing one (so I know that it fits and because having been use it easier to manipulate) and slid it along the hose and with a tie wrap secured it.

I installed a new one witch mean having to disconnect the hose  to pass the new belt and reconnected the hose.  Now I'm ready to go.  If that new one lets go then within a few minutes the old one is back in its place and ready to take over.

If you look at the above picture you'll see that the hose DOES go Thu the belt. I'm attaching a few pictures of my installation...one is the general look of the engine.....then a zoomed one and then one from the front door.
You'll see the pump (dead center) and the old belt with the wrap on the right hand side (where you see green on the other hose).

Hope it's clear and might help someone in a "crisis" situation
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Here's the pictures
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Stu Jackson

It's a very good idea to have replacement parts near to hand.  Only concern I have about your photos is:  on a very heavy port tack, is there a possibility that the lower end of the replacement belt could come in contact with any moving parts?  Thanks for the photos.

[Captive drive belt - added for search purposes - Stu 4/13/09]

Ted Pounds

Great idea!  Another nice feature is that you'll never have to try and remember where (or even if) you stored your spare belt.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Michael Shaner

Now THAT'S thinking ahead of the curve...I see where you're belt is locked in by a hose...nice!

For clarification, the pic of my "old sherwood" is a bit deceiving...the hose you mention is the crankcase vent. The other end is attached to nothing...dangles over the "oil diaper" under the motor...belt isn't trapped at all. I've yet to (as Ken reminded me) properly "plumb" it into the air intake. The list never ends...

...not to mention the Encyclo-Wiki-Stu'ster is real good about keeping that list in the forefront of our minds... :idea:  :think

Michael & Alison Shaner