galley counter repair

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I have a chip or void in the corean (sp?) counter top.  It's on the edge where the refrigerator top fits, not real visible.  I called local kitchen counter people and Catalina Direct to get matching repair material, but they didn't have it.  Anyone know were I can get it. 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon Schneider

I'm assuming by "Catalina Direct," you mean the separate company from Catalina Yachts.  Just to state the obvious, I would call CY. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Roc

Since this is Corian, which is used for household kitchens, how about contacting a supplier of Corian Countertops.  The other option would be to contact DuPont, the maker of Corian and maybe they have repair kits available.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Only "Dupont trained and Certified" personnel can install or repair Corian.  When they build counter tops, they come in pieces.  Where edges join they chamfer the edges with a router then put in the correct color epoxy mix and sand smooth when dry.  Knife marks, etc can also be removed with very fine sand paper.  Maybe you can sweet talk someone into giving you enough material for the repair.  Otherwise call a kitchen counter shop.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Wayne

I managed to put a small chip into my counter.  I found some repair stuff at Lowes (probably intended for formica counters) that filled the hole, but was a too dark a shade of grey.  I made the fill, then used some 'model airplane' type paint (Testors) of the right color grey to make the patch disappear.  My ding was in an inconspicuous place, and happily the 'speckled' look makes repairs easy to camouflage.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca