Tank Cleaning and cutless bearing questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

Two misc. questions:
For those who emptied their fuel tanks for cleaning, how fast does the fuel pump move fuel?  I estimate I'll need to remove 7-10 gallons to drain the tank.  How long should it take? 

How much resistance when turning the shaft by hand is normal?  I know too little is a problem.  I recently changed my cutless bearing and now the prop shaft is much more difficult to turn by hand than on nearly all the neighboring boats.  I can still spin it by tightly grabbing the shaft with one hand and pouring water through it helps so I imagine it'll break in.

Thanks for your help!
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

foursailing

Kyle - 7-10 gallons should take less than a 1/2 hour.  I recomend using strar bright fuel tank cleaner - I put it in my tank, waited a day or so then pumped it through my racor filter.   Very good results.  As far as the cutlass  - I'm sure it will break in and doesn't sound like a problem
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Ted Pounds

If you changed packing then another place to look for shaft resistance is the packing gland.  If you have the packing nut too tight it can cause some friction.  In the water is the best place to test that.  If you have regular packing tighten until you get a couple drops a minute while the shaft is rotating.  If you use the Gore dripless packing then tighten until it just stops dripping.  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447