Heat Exchanger

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Both the brackets have seperated from the 3" HX on my M25xp.  I left the note that had the distance between the bolt holes on the boat by mistake.  There is too much slop in the markings of the mounting area, really don't feel comfortable getting it repaired without knowing the correct distance.  I've checked with all the local suppliers and Torreson, they haven't been able to come up with it in a weeks time.  If anybody happens to be working in that area, can you post the dimension please. I'm sure this is not the last time this will happen, good to have it on record.   
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

On the older M25 engines the HX was held on without brackets but by two large hose clamps.  The HX did NOT have brackets welded onto it.  There were slits in the angle metal at the back of the engine for the hose clamps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark Swenson

Sorry I don't have the dimensions, but I was changing all the fluids yesterday on my C36 and noticed both brackets on my M25XPB (with only 80 hours) are broken.  I checked the parts list for the engine and it does not list the brackets.  Instead, there is a part that the brackets appear to attach to.  My engine does not have that item.  I'm going to check with the Universal distributor in Seattle this week to see if they have the brackets, although I am concerned that both brackets failed with only 80 hours on the engine.

Michael Shaner

Ken...here's a pic of mine...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

The picture above is the M25 mount.  The M25xp is totally different.  The original mount is a much smarter design.  Pictures of broken mount and proper configuration.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

And the answer is:  6 3/8"  between bolt holes center to center.  Will try to get pictures and put this info on the Wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Why don't you try asking Semdure or more likely Westerbeke. 
Your clamps also look like you could fabricate one of them yourself!  a thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Thanks Ron.

I didn't try Sendure, I asked 4 or 5 Weaterbeake dealers/suppliers.  None of them could come up with an answer.  I have the brackets.  I just needed the proper demension so that the radiator shop can (braze/silver solder?) the brackets back on in the correct spots.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : On the new M25XPBs the 3" HX is attached with a strap.  The strap goes all the way around the HX and has a hole in each end.  The two ends then bolt into the back of the engine.
It might be well if you called Engine 1 or Westerbeke and get 1 or 2 of these straps to solve your problem.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Pictures and repair can be found in the Engine section (cooling) of the Wiki.

Link: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=3%22_heat_exchanger_mounts
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA