Mainsail Slug Slide

Previous topic - Next topic

tandm

I discovered that I have a broken mainsail slug slide at the end of the sailing day last Saturday.  It looks like the only way to replace the slugs sort of pulling the stick is to go up the mast.  Has anyone replaced the slugs this way?  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

thanx in advance,

td
Peregrine '87

SEAESTA

Please explain more precisely. Sail slugs are normally attached to the sail. Is the slug stuck in the mast groove? Can you take the sail down?

tandm

The main sail is just fine and flaked on the boom. However, the bale on one of the mainsail slugs has broken away from  the slug's body.  If one has failed the others are probably suspect, so it is a good time to replace all the slugs.  I am curious if anyone has any words of wisdom with regards to the task itself, as well as, the type of slugs to use.

td

jentine

Tony, if I interperate your question correctly, you need to know how to get the slugs out of the slide.  Lift the sail body at the mast and you will find a screw with a large knurled head.  Remove that and there is a wide area in the slide groove that will allow each slug to be removed.   With the sail flaked on deck, change the slugs.

tandm

I am a bit chagrinned.  I managed to get down to the boat last evening after my daughters softball game and found the widened slot below the sail track stop.  I just got new glasses so I can't blame the progressive lenses for not noticing it before...  

With regard to luff slides (a.k.a. slugs), has anyone converted their 34 to batten cars?  I single hand a lot and find that raising the mainsail takes a bit longer than I would like.  This is primarily do to the amount of effort involved.  Practical Sailor recommends candle wax as sail track lubricant, so when 18 new slides go on, I will try that as a first step.  If that does not improve things sufficiently, batten cars may be the next $$$ thing to try (assuming they help.)  Or maybe just start lifting weights...

thanx again,

td

dave davis

TD, you will find an article in the Tech notes on how to make your job easier. Although, waxing your slugs or spraying the with a dry lubercant of teflon will also help. Since your boat is an older type, elimination of the deck organizer is the key. look it up and see the numbers. See tech note -1997-Feb-vol-15#1
Good luck,
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

howard armstrong

This weekend i installed a new garhauler block at the bottom of the mast . the one that turns the main halyard before the deck organizer. and just that one thing make the effort much easier. before I had always gone to the mast to raise the main. the block has ball bearings. much better than the old one, and it was only about $20. cheap for boat stuff.
Howard Armstrong
angelina

Ted Pounds

I, too, replaced the block at the bas of the mast with a ball bearing one.  It makes a big difference.  Also check the the sheaves on your deck organizer.  I rplaced mine with ball bearing ones and that made even more difference. Basically the more friction you cna get out of the whole system (including lubing the slides) the easier it will raise.  I'd like to replace the sheaves at the masthead, but that's a bigger job.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

tandm

Howard,

Could you post  the part # of the block?

td
Peregrine #543

howard armstrong

The block no. was 25-11 SL. The block i got did not have a swivel where it connects so you might want to check on that. It took an extra shackel to line it up properly. Oversight on my part when ordering. Garhauer marine was the company, they have a great web site with a online catalog and pricing also an explanation of all the products.

Howard Armstrong
Angelina  648

Bill Sedgwick

I have bought a couple of the Garhauer #40 light ball bearing long shackle blocks for my boat and love them. I will probable replace all the turning blocks with the Garhauer SL blocks eventually. The #30 are probably adequate but the #40 are very rugged. They have a 5/8" schackle with a 1/4" pin for mounting. I also replaced my dual deck organizer with a quad (fits the same holes as the dual. I had UK replace the slugs on the main and can easily raise the main from the cockpit without using a winch. There's virtually no friction in the system. For a 34, I think batcars just add weight and cost.Call Guido at Garhauer. He's always been happy to take my money. Ph 909-985-9993
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

tandm

I ordered 5 new #40 SL's with the "double u" swivel yesterday.  I was puzzled because I could not find "double U" swivel blocks on the Garhauer Web site, so I called. Guido told me that the blocks are custom made for Catalina so they are not in the on line catalog.  I am also going to install new luff slides this weekend.  I currently have 2 triple sheave deck organizers. Sounds like I should replace those too.

td
Peregrine #543

Fulvio

Lots of good information in this thread.  Also in the Feb 97 TechNotes.

However, without having done any scientific experiment, it seems to me that a lot of friction comes from the circular feed under the traveler.  That feed causes the halyard to be diverted toward the rope clutch before it goes onto the winch, and the friction in the feed seems like it would be greater than in any block, whether it has bearings or not.  

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)