Aft Bunk Makeover

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

We've lived with standard foam cushions for some time.  They are OK, but not something I would like to sleep on for a month or a year.

Last summer on our extended cruise I pulled the memory foam topper off of our home bed and moved it on the boat.  It was massively more comfortable but suffered a few drawbacks.  It seemed a bit "warm" - not something I'd want in the tropics.   It moved around.   It was heavy and big sponge to soak up moisture.   

So I decided to upgrade while I was recovering the cushions.   Loved some of the input on the board on custom spring matresses and advanced sleep systems like the Froli.   These seemed great but I didn't want to spend huge bucks.   I decide to add a flexible wood grating under the mattress to give some spring and ventilation.   Then I discovered Ikea has already addressed the issue with the Sultan Lien mattress support - $80 for queensize.   Wonderful laminated birch boards that give spring while barely raising the height of the matress.  So I plan to custom fit these to the aft berth and anchor them in place with provisions for removing bits where the access panels are.   

To augment the foam, I chose a mattress pad.   Again, Ikea saved the day.   The Sultan Torsmo ($100) is a mattress pad with a couple layers of polyester batting and a foam core.  Comfortable and machine washable.   I chopped it to fit.   Finally I added large velcro straps to the mattress pad and cushions so nothing shifts around. 

So it's ready for install on the boat.  I thought I'd share pictures now while it's actually visible.   Final picture is a shot of the interior upholstery in the salon.  Note how roomy it is without that big stick in the way....
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Braxton

Did the mattress support fit in the aft berth without customizing it or did you have to do some cutting?
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Allan.SVCarina

So how does it sleep?  It looks like it should all work out very well.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Hawk

I like it Steve.
I installed the Neptune Slat System last year in both the forward and aft berths. It is a varnished beach wood bend slat mattress support system similar to your Ikea one. They each clip together with plastic clips so no movement. There is support because of the "spring". Also importantly, no lifting cushions are required to air out, because air flow is always there.
You have to cut to size. Probably double the price you paid though.

http://www.slatsystems.com/

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Braxton

How did you cut the pieces to account for the v-berth insert? 
Braxton Allport

Stu Jackson

Braxton,

How do you figure your head is anywhere near the insert? 

It's the world's Biggest and Widest V berth.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Braxton:

I've got do some cutting to fit the slats in the aft cabin.   Our berth isn't quite queen size.  OK it's actually longer than a queensize on one side but not as wide as a queen.  You could probably buy the double or full size version of the slats and combine with a king size mattress pad custom cut and you be in a good place...

Stu:

If you put the neptune unit under the v-berth the filler cushion would hang a couple of inches low.  So you would have a cavity that your head might fall into as you are luxuriously rolling around the vberth eating grapes and listening to harp music.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Braxton

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 06, 2009, 08:33:05 PM
Braxton,

How do you figure your head is anywhere near the insert? 

It's the world's Biggest and Widest V berth.

I have a 4 year old daughter who sleeps up there.   In the course of the night I'm betting her head traverses most of the surface area of the v-berth.   How she sleeps moving around so much I'll never know, but it works for her.
Braxton Allport

Stu Jackson

Only reason I asked is that we many times drop the insert to the lower position, which somehow makes the space seem larger, so perhaps having a section of the underlay separate for the insert section may make sense.  If you don't ever drop it, then there's no issue.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Hawk

Right Stu. I never drop mine and the v-berth cushion covers the whole area - no seperate filler cushion. The Neptune system for the v-berth is two seperate sections that meet together on the centre line for and aft and covers over the insert. There is no cavity or sag over the insert area. The slats are held up on small footings that act as clips as well. Therefore the raised forward edge of the insert is not in the way.

Having said that, you can design and cut as you wish.

Hawk

Ron Hill

Steve : Most of us that are long range cruisers, use the aft cabin for storage. 
I carried the "extra stuff" on top of the cushions for years.  Now I've removed the aft cabin cushions as it's easier to slide things around.  I know of a couple of C34s that have had a rug made for the aft cabin after they removed the cushions. 
Our guests sleep in the cockpit if they want to visit.
I've even seen a C34 with a "roll up" lea cloth" for the port side settee.  They used it like a quarter berth.
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Hmmm.  Nice idea.  I'd kill for the storage space.   I wonder if we could make Foster sleep in the cockpit?   There's nice new cushions there.  But he insists he's not a guest.   

I've been talking with Tracey and for some reason, the boys claimed the V-berth the first weekend we were out and we've never switched cabins to try the vberth.   I think maybe it was so they could have a quiet place of their own when we have those extended stretches of motoring.   Going down the coast (hopefully predominantly sailing) Foster would probably be better off in the aft cabin with less motion.  So Tracey has agreed that we need to try the vberth for a weekend and decide what we like.     (Sorry to bring up religion on the message board.)

We are going to fit a lee cloth to the port settee.   I think it will make the best sea berth on the boat.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Hawk

On our boat and in years gone by chartering in BVIs the boys took over the aft cabin. I prefer to be in the v-berth particularly when anchored. Its much easier to keep an eye and ear open when winds pick up or shift on the hook. If required, a quick look out the hatch is easily done to check on swing room or the weather. Not so easy from the aft cave.
Hawk

Stu Jackson

Garage vs. V berth

Morgan, our son, claimed the V berth when we bought the boat.  We did buy it for the aft cabin, too, as many have done.

Once we went sailing without Morgan.  I was on a business call and Cory went up forward, and never returned (Charlie, anyone?).

It's sooooo big.  And comfortable.

Our friends, Juan and Eva, now in Mexico with their C34, have done exactly what Ron suggests.

Here are some pictures.  He really made it a workshop.  These are "before" pictures, as he'd planned to, and implemented, a storage space.  These are early ideas, but serve to show the advantages of opening things up for access.  They had other Fleet 1 friends down for two weeks within the last few months.  I've heard from Dwayne & Debbie since, but haven't yet gotten the details, and they enjoyed their visit with Juan and Eva.  Don't know where they slept.   :D :D :D

badams

We have yet to try the long term thing, but what works best for us is kids in the v-berth at night, and we sleep in the Main salon, it is the most ventilated.  We keep the table down with cushion on at all times except for meals.  It makes the salon much more comfortable and spacious feeling.  If you could rig a good removable mattress topper for the main (removing the cushions around the side makes it significantly wider and longer for sleeping), you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.