Microwave

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

Need advise on where to get a microwave no larger than 16 inches wide.  Also advise on where to install or place microwave on a 2004 34.

Braxton

We have ours on the shelf up above the chart table.   This works very well.   The only issue is that the microwave has to be tilted backwards ever so slightly to allow the door to clear the fiddle on the shelf in front.    What you can't see in the pic is that there is a shelf flush with the top of the microwave.   This is securely attached to the bulkhead behind so that the microwave doesn't take any unexpected plunges during rough seas.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

canuck

We have our TV on that shelf.  I was thinking of putting it in the aft cabin, but require a microwave 16 inches or less.  How wide is your microwave?

Braxton

I don't know off the top of my head.   I'll measure it the next time I'm at the boat but I'd guess its about 20 inches wide.
Braxton Allport

Braxton

I couldn't find a definitive width on this one but with the controls on top it looks like it has a shot at being that narrow.   The color would be a deal breaker for me though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016HN9ZE/ref=asc_df_B0016HN9ZE734202?smid=A26W5ZQM6N15KN&tag=shopzilla_rev_1080-20&linkCode=asn

Braxton Allport

Braxton

Nevermind :(

Dimensions-
Length: 15.6
Width: 17.7
Height: 16.9
Braxton Allport

Roger Blake

Best Buy carries the following: (1)Panasonic $119.99 - 0.8 Cu. Ft. Compact Microwave - Stainless-Steel Model: NN-SD377S SKU: 9143786 Height 11-1/8" Width 14-5/16" Weight 26.2 lbs. Depth19"; (2)Whirlpool $119.99 - 0.7 Cu. Ft. Compact Microwave - Black-on-Black Width 18" Weight 33 lbs. Depth 12-3/8"
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Wayne

I have a factory microwave; it came installed above the icebox.  I'm guessing you might have cupboard doors where my microwave sits on a shelf . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Craig Illman

Ron Hill

One of the most unique installations' that I've seen is above the galley sink. 
I published a picture about 10 years ago in the Mainsheet Tech notes with some of the particulars. 
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

I have a 2005 C34 so I think our interior dimentions are the same. I purchased the smallest name brand microwave I could find at Home Depot for about $50.00 (several years ago).  I wish I could tell you the size, brand and take pics but that will have to wait until I next get down to the boat.  At any rate, I am rather handy with wood so I built a shelf ABOVE the wardrobe in the aft cabin.  Using no screws, glue or other fasteners I have the microwave "wedged" between cabin ceiling and the wardrobe.  The shelf the micro sits on is on legs so I have about 6 or 8 inches of free space between the top of the wardrobe and the microwave shelf support.  I know I am not describing this well and it sounds Micky Mouse but the microwave actually looks professionally installed and it (the microwave) has not moved at all for over 3 years and all kinds of seas.  If I can offer more info feel free to e-mail me (david@espsolutions.com) and we can exchange phone numbers off line. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Susan Ray

David...Do you have any photos of this installation?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

mtullier

Nav Station
Mike

Steve Sayian

Canuck,

I removed the factory installed microwave that came on our '99 (the large center area over the stove) and used the space for storage.

I have the microwave down in the cellar and will sell it if you're interested.  It has the mounting brackets  on it and works fine. 

Send me an email if you want.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

David Arnold

Susan,
I can post pictures of my installation after I get down to the boat but it may be a few weeks. 
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707