Traveler - Rigid Vang Selection

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brockman

I have decided to upgrade from the original Nicro-Fico traveler and from my unknown brand solid vang this weekend with new Garhauer products. My question is which traveler and vang should I buy?

I have been offered a great deal on a new MT-2 (only $200), but after looking at a picture of the traveler,  I am worried that the stacked blocks on each end of the traveler may have a high potential for hanging up lines while the newer (and more expensive) MT-UB2 traveler has a cleaner, more protective look.  As I am planning on racing my boat quite a bit this year, I would like to avoid potential problems where I can, but am not sure the MT-UB2 will be worth 3x the cost.  Has anyone with a MT-2 had a problem with it? 

Regarding a new solid vang, the catalog shows three models that fit a 34, the RV20-1SL, the RV18-1 DX, and the RV20-1DX.  Each model has a different tune diameter, with 2" being the largest.  I think the 18/20 number relates to the purchase ratio but I am not sure.  My first reaction is to go for the RV20-1DX and its 2" tube but thought I would see what other people have been using.

Thanks for the advice.

- Gary -
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Jon Schneider

Presumably you're going to buy a new vang from Garhauer, right?  If so, call Guido and ask him for advice; he really knows best.  While you're at it, as him about whether you can get away with the traveler your friend is willing to sell you.  Ask him about the downside, if any.  They're honest people; he'll give you straight talk.  I wish I could tell you which one I upgraded to (on Guido's advice), but it was a few years ago, and I really don't know the model number.  Sorry.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff Kaplan

gary, 2 seasons ago i up graded to the garhauer mt-ub-2 traveler, and i must say it was the best upgrade i made to the boat. i got mine built with the dodger conversion as i bring the lines back to spilock camcleats on the coach roof. if you go this way you must tell guido so the traveler is built correct. in  20kt winds i can easily pull up the traveler and when you have to spill wind, easier. it cost me $495- but i feel it was worth every penny. i was going to upgrade to a rigid vang this season, but with money tight, and water taxi, mooring fees and supplies coming soon, i am going to stick with my rope vang at least for another season. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma