Stern Pulpit Seats for a Mk I C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D : My stern pulpit is getting kind of full of stuff already. 
However, it seems to me that - aren't the "perches" just another thing to get in the way of putting on /taking off the stern dock lines !?! 
Nice to sit on, but a pain when docking with only a crew of 2 (one on the bow) + the shifter + the throttle + the wheel/steerage ?
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - That's a pretty lame excuse, it's not that big a deal to slip a line on the cleat! The Zarcor seats were one of the first things I added when I bought my boat. I did have to locate the support posts myself that took a couple iterations. As you can see in the picture I have speakers mounted underneath. I usually sit on the starboard side, when motoring, and can reach down to touch the autopilot controls on my Simrad WP32.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 01, 2009, 05:47:08 PM
...just another thing to get in the way of putting on /taking off the stern dock lines !?!...but a pain when docking with only a crew of 2

I singlehand a lot.  Not an issue.  You reach over it, or under it as you see fit.  using a midships spring line makes the aft cleat a secondary issue anyway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

I too single hand her all the time and the only trouble I have is when the adult beverage in the convenient seat drink holder distracts my attention. However, my wife figured out that if she put a straw in the rum before I reached under the seat for the line, I could sip AND dock!!!!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

We love our Zarcor stern perch seats for our 1989 C34 - it was the first purchase we made after we bought the boat and we couldn't be happier.  They also made a great mounting spot for Poly Planar cockpit speakers if you don't want to cut into the cockpit fiberglass.  Also, you get great sound from under the seats. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hawk

Ron,
You'll wonder how you got along without them. I've had more good comments on those perch seats. Such a comfortable , well positioned place to sail from. As for the aft cleat you simply reach under - no biggie.
However as I said earlier I would recommend the support post from the seat bottom be angled down and back to the side of the cockpit coaming where it is screwed into place. It leaves the two lazarette hatches free to open and keeps it relatively out of the way so it can't be kicked etc.
Hawk 
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Lance Jones

Mine still allows the aft lazerette to open without any hindrance.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Hawk

I'm just looking at Craigs photo above and note the support posts appear somewhat in the way and likely get kicked. Mine isn't, as they angle to the side about 7 inches up where fixed and well clear. Just so someone considering these stern seats knows there's an option.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Stu Jackson

Hawk, I agree with "options," it's almost my middle name.  What I suggested in my earlier thread (#4, Page 1) was that the vertical support tube should "land" alongside the edge of the coaming to allow the cushion to be placed on the helmsman's seat without any interference.  Depending on how the perch seat is built (i.e., width, depth) it may be necessary to angle it a bit, but the foot should rest next to the coaming.  Anything else gets in the way.

I rarely sail when sitting on the seat.  I find it is too exposed.  We use it for motoring, mostly, or light air sailing. That's just ME, many of our friends here on SF Bay sail using their perch seats.  Your boat, your choice.

I haven't done a count, but most seems most like two.  This is a good case of "more is better."  Wonderful, but at least there's an "option" out there for those of you who are still considering what seems to be the best and least difficult upgrade known to Mark I boats!  Enjoy! :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

If you look at my pictures, the foot does land right next to the coaming. I have yet to have it kicked or get in the way of the lazerrett opening.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Bob K

Has anyone tried to build these seats?  The poly plastic is relatively cheap.  I'm thinking that it can be done by making a plywood template, then cutting the poly with a bandsaw (getting smooth curves would be the tricky part), and then and a router on the edges.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

waterdog

If you've got the router, you make your plywood template, sand the edges, and slap it on your plastic material which has been cut an eighth oversize with some double sided tape.   Now use a bit with a bearing to make a perfect cut with smooth egdes by running it along the plywood.  You can do it in one shot with a bullnose bit or go with a straight bit followed by a round over.  These are on my list and I'll have them complete within a couple of months - with custom cushions, no less.  I promise I'll take pictures. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Bob K

Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Chris

My husband made 2 stern perch seats for ChriSea.  He traced the seat (from a friend who had them) and made the seats out of mahogany.  For the clamps to hold to the stern pulpit, he used pvc pipe pieces with a slot cut out of them.  The pvc pieces screw to the bottom of the seat and snap down firmly onto the rail.  At the hardware store, we found painted metal pipes that are meant to hang light fixtures or ceiling fans down from the ceiling.  They are threaded on the ends.  We cut them to size and put a "crutch tip" on the lower end.  We bought a part at the hardware store that mounts flat on the bottom of the seat and the support/pipe screws into it.  We made back rests from swimming noodles which I covered with sunbrella.  We did find a long shaft drill bit that enlarged the hole in the noodles some, so maybe that makes them a more reasonable size to cover the rails.  Ben cut holes in the seats for plastic drink holders.  Be sure to seal these inside edges of the wood well, or they may absorb moisture!
We love the seats, although we have had the same "challenges" with crowding with all the accessories hanging from the rails.  Actually it's not so bad leaning on the dinghy motor!  We have had many compliments on them.
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

horsemel

I like this idea of making the seats.  How about a wiki with some photos and maybe a plan with a seat template?  It would be an easy project in the winter workshop.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815