Stern Pulpit Seats for a Mk I C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I have the standard Zarcor seats on my Mk1.5.  The seat leg actually helps when digging in the lazarette.  Loosen the seat clamp so that it will swivel up as shown in the previous pictures, open the lazarette hatch, then rotate the seat back toward the down position until the post locks the hatch in the open position.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

hump180

You guys are getting me thinking about making my own seats. I found the pedastal clamps as shown for 25$ a pair. I am wondering if I cant use a piece of cardboard and create my own pattern, then cut out of teak or other wood and cetol to match the brightwork. The only part I would have to find is the legs. Who knows, maybe creating our own patterns would be just as comfortable or more. Of course, I will have to weight the cost because I could begin approaching simiar cost as just ordering a set.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Bob K

Steve and Bill,
Those are the clamps I've been looking for, and was not able to find!!   Where can I buy them?
Bill, regarding the leg, I think 1" stainless railing stock with end fittings is the way to go.  Still looking for an inexpensive source for the fittings.  The rail may have to be purchased in a longer than wanted length, although might be able to find a scrap piece somewhere.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Craig Illman

Bob - check here for fittings: http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststdehi.html   although you may be getting what you pay for. They ship quickly.

Craig

Stu Jackson

There have been many great posts on this subject.  Seems to be a popular "place to hang" when on the boat. While SS support legs would look very good, we've found the aluminum one that Captain Al made for us holding up just fine after over eight years.  This is for the vertical leg version.  If you use the angled design concept, I'd opt for the stronger SS tubing, but don't feel it's necessary for the vertical ones since it's really pretty outta sight and becomes "invisible" after you first get over the elation of the extra cockpit room.  Just don't forget the oversized cup holder!   :D  It's actually quite functional even for times when you're not sitting on the perch but just being behind the helm.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hump180

Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Bob K

Wow, I knew those SS fittings had to be available for less then WM.  Thanks to all for the links.   Not to change the topic, but this is yet another example of the ridiculous WM prices.  Have you looked at what they charge for zincs? It's laughable.  Thank goodness for independent marine stores and on line shopping. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Roland Gendreau

I looked up the material list I used when I made the stern perch seats for my C30. It looks like the same list can be used for seats for the C34. The part numbers and prices are from the Defender.com web site:

Qty      Part number    Description                        Price each       Total
1         2454ww12   24x54x1/2 inch starboard         $87               $87
1         256923         Rail clamps (pair)                    $27              $27
2         750952         90 degree SS rail fittings         $14              $28
2         753862          1"x24 inch SS tubing             $14              $28
                                                                      Grand Total       $170

This compares with Zarcor's current price of $280.  By shopping around a bit, you may be able to get some of these parts cheaper, such as through the link above which had lower prices for the SS fittings.  So its up to you if you want to save $110 and make your own seats.

I've attached a picture of the seats I built for my C30 so you can see how they came out.  The current owner of that boat loves them, 5 years later!

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Phil Spicer

This project has been on the back burner for several years. Thought the back stay may be in the way & make it a tight fit to sit up there. This thread has sparked new life into the project.
I was going to post the marine parts depot site for the fittings to hold the leg. (Thanks Craig) I have used them & so far I am happy with what I got from them, but nothing my life would depend on. I'm still being careful because I don't really know the true quality or source country.
As for the legs, an option would be a 1" Dia. dowel rod from the hardware or big box store. Another option would be a canvas shop. The guy that made my bimini always has some short lengths for me at no charge. When I made my dodger hand rails I got some large scraps & bent them at school.( electrical shop)  Used the electric conduit bender.....nice tool. Will use the bender again if I need a Little bend to get the leg outboard.
I have taught at a vocational high school & technical college. The teachers are usually happy to do jobs like this, welding, machine work etc. Just call them.....beats WM prices
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Michael Shaner

I just "engineered" some perch seats a couple weeks ago. Apparently, I paid way too much for the rail clamps (roughly 35 bones @ WM, but I already had two of the four). I had suitable material for the seats and purchased the balance of the materials online...I'd be happy to sketch it up and post...may take a bit...gotta dust off the AutoCad skills...Defender has nice stainless cup holders at a good price...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Rick Allen

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

ed webb

When looking for the stainless support post, you may want to check with a local scrap metal company in your area.

Ed Webb

ed webb

If you check ebay for  king starboard, you can find quite a few sizes available. These are better prices (not great) than at defender. Now all I have to do this find some place that has better prices on the hardware. After adding all of the hardware and marine polymer !/2" X 24" x 54" , and the freight costs to Michigan, I ended up at about $270.00 for 2 Vs $280.00 from zarcor. The thing that you can save money I think is making you own cushions.

Ed