Stern Pulpit Seats for a Mk I C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Schneider

Quote from: horsemel on March 14, 2009, 06:22:32 PM
I like this idea of making the seats.  How about a wiki with some photos and maybe a plan with a seat template?  It would be an easy project in the winter workshop.

I love the idea of capturing this project as a wiki article.  I'd be happy to set up the page for  and help with formatting and uploading of pictures (not that you necessarily need my help, but just PM me if you do). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Lance Jones

Here is a photo with my big butt on the Starboard seat. These are now the best seat in the house AND we've taken the grill off and keep it stored until we need it. Then, it goes back in storage.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Oh yeah, this was taken yesterday. Yep, sailing in 65 + degrees. Not unusual in Atlanta this time of year.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Looks great Lance.  BTW, you can go back and change or add to or edit any of your own previous posts by clicking on the "Modify" link instead of posting new individual posts to any topic.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

ed webb

Hey Hawk - Do you have any pictures of your stern rail arrangement? I want to add them too, but I have a full width cushion for the lazerette that i'm not wiiling to give up.

Stu Jackson

Ed,

We have a full stern helmsman seat cushion, too.  As long as the leg supports for the stern seats are way out by the coaming, the cushion still fits.  Just like Lance's picture shows.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Hawk asked me to post this for him, he's changing his computer.  Please note the nifty attachment points for the vertical support, which I believe are kinda optional for keeping the cushion working as I noted above for Mark I boats.  This appears to be a Mark 1 1/2 with a walk through transom.

Second shots are from my boat.  Third shot is from another C34s with different transom.  Fourth shot is not a C34 but shows a different approach to the construction.

Hawk

Thanks Stu.

The photo shows what I meant by the stern seat support leg being fixed to the side and right out of the way when stepping on the lazerette hatch cover or using a cushion. My boat is the Mark 1 1/2 with the walk through transom.

HAwk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Volk

Hawk,

Your seat attachment looks great.  Did you buy these from Zarcor this way or did you modify them after you bought them? 

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Hawk

Ron,
The PO told me that he modified the support leg.
My only involvement has been to happily sit on, and admire them.........(:
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Roland Gendreau

I built a set of stern perch seats for my C30. I recall the total cost of the materials (starboard, SS pipe and fittings, rail clamps) was about $125 or less than half the cost of the commercially available seats.

At that time, a fellow C30 owner sent me a paper template for the seats as well as the material list.

I have not yet built them for my C34 but they are on the honey do list.

I'd be happy to contribute to the Wiki.

If someone would help by making the paper template, that would be very helpful.  I can put together the material list, which is in my email archives somewhere.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Bob K

Roland,
I plan on making a paper template, but someone else may beat me to it!  I have brought cardboard with me to the boat several times so far this spring, but somehow there is never time at the end of the day for that chore. I'll keep trying, and keep you posted.  I plan on using the angled support, and I've priced the angled stainless pole support fittings (both 30 and 60 degree are available) - I think they were about $25 each.  I hope to do better somewhere online.  I am still trying to find a clamp to clamp the seat to the rail. The split PVC pipe suggestion from Chris is clever, and may be the way I do it.   Wish me luck this week....
Bob
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Steve McGill

Bob K.

Below are the clamps that many of the commerciail stern seats use.

They usually run in the $20-25 range for a pair.

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Lance Jones

Those are the very clamps that Zarcor uses! Great find!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622