Routing Wire from Aft Lazarette to near Battery Box

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've installed the major components of my new soloar power grid. I now need to run wire from the aft lazarette to the regulator located next to the battery boxes in the starboard settee. Any suggestions for an easy way to get wire stretched between the two locations? :?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Michael Shaner

Perhaps you could chase the wire through the hanging locker in the aft cabin and then under the removable "Naugahyde" soffit (where the aft cabin lights hang) all the way up the stbd side and drop them in the settee from there?
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Lance, you're already "in the hole" so you could run them underneath the aft cabin and under the galley sole (just like the hot water heater hoses) and up under the sink to your "final destination."  There's a lot of "stuff" running around down there, like the wiring harness, engine control cables, fridge refrigerant tubing and wiring, etc.  I was amazed when I first started looking around down there, and some say I haven't gotten my head out of that area in years!  :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

hump180

I'm with Stu, I would just run them under the aft cabin and sole. There are probably fancier ways of doing it, but that would be the easiest solution. Just be concious of all the other wiring and cables through the area when routing. Like most wire pulling projects this one will be easier with two people if you someone available. You should be able to see the wires under the aft cabin through the removable panel under the mattress and you should be able to see the wires under the cabin sole by removing the bilge sole and looking with a flashlight.
I just recently pulled wires for my new truecharge 2, which reminds me, depending where your wires are in the lazarette you could just run them to the head locker where your thru hulls are, then you have a pretty straight shot to push the wires towards the bilge and up throuhg the battery cable cutout into the battery box. That is a similar routing as the old port lazarette battery charger wiring. 
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Lance Jones

Thanks, as usual, for the great ideas. I think I'm leaning towards Stu's idea. I'll have my stepson out with us this weekend and he can help pull. He's a crew chief on F-22s so he should at least be familiar with hard to get to areas!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Since his charger is on the starboard side, that's why I suggested what I did.  The routing is discussed for the hot water heater hoses here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : As Stu mentioned you can tie the new wire up to the bundle (and the shifter/throttle cables) until you get to the engine.  Then go under the flooring of the entryway to the aft cabin and come out by the door to the fridge foot pump and then on to the battery compartment.

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth mentioning again - if the wire cannot be tied up all the way, then put it in a piece of clear water hose if it can possibly touch the hull.  Who know how many sharp fiberglass chard's are on the hull??  The hose will act as another layer of protection to keep the wire from chafing.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron. I'll keep that in mind. I guess I ought to get "Hosed!"
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622