Aft engine access

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

Has anyone modified the cabinet in the aft cabin on a Mark I boat to get better access to the rear portion of the engine?  I believe that this is a feature of the Mark II boats that I would like to see if I can add.  Getting to the transmission fluid dipstick is pretty difficult through the access panel.  I checked the projects file and did not see anything.  Thanks!   
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Before you worry about an additional access panel, try to just reach over the front of the engine from the stairway access. That's how I do it and it doesn't seem that hard.      Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Clay Greene

Really?  Your arms must be waaaaaay longer than mine.  Isn't the heat exchanger in the way? 

Lance Jones

Can't you pull the "stateroom" boards to get to the aft of the engine? Also, I have side access in the head and also the entryway to the "stateroom". The French maid usually does all that prior to departure... :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Clay Greene

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by the "stateroom" boards.  There is the access panel right over the prop shaft but that means clearing everything out of the aft cabin and contorting in half to get to the transmission fluid dipstick.  The side access from either the head or the aft cabin does not allow access to the transmission fluid dipstick, I don't believe. 

Stu Jackson

Sure they have, after all, it's been almost 22 years since they started making these beautiful yachts and we've had some time to make "home improvements" on many of them!   :D

Some folks have done "carpentry" and removed the top and hinged it or at least made it removable & the back of the engine more accessible.

A recent great idea from Lance Jones may be another great way to do so.  His application was used on the forward end of the galley fiberglass wall for access to under the sink, but should have some use in the aft cabin as well.  His idea, with pictures, is found on his wiki article: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sink_Access (and earlier MB post which includes a good discussion in addition to the wiki here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4721.0.html).  Others have had the same concept and cut a hole with a teak cover in the vertical face of the fiberglass.  I find Lance's idea pretty nifty.

I'm a lousy carpenter, but I can sure cut holes and install access panels!!!

For access to the transmission, once a year or so, we use the old 1987-1988 method of a syringe or turkey baster in the top.  The HX should be behind the transmission plug, admittedly hard to get to, but once the tube is in it's fine.  We do it from the front of the engine.  Remember, we have an M25 engine.  We installed a larger 3 inch HX a few years ago, so it actually looks like an M25XP.  The larger, newer engines may have difference access issues.  That's why I include my engine in my "signature."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

Thanks for passing that on, Stu - that is a pretty cool idea! 

Stu Jackson

I know that people have lotsa other things to do with their time these days (and any other time for that matter) but it sure helps to come back here regularly to keep up with what's happening.  At least if you've read it, you may remember it, and I'll always be happy to provide you with the link. :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

The "Stateroom" too which I was referring was the aft berth (Tongue in cheek of course) 8) I am happy that my project seems popular.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622