Autohelm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I have the Autohelm 4000. As this picture shows, it's working fine. Any idea how long these usually last?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jon Schneider

Looks more like a collie than an Autohelm to me ;)

(BTW, I suspect there's a wide margin of error in predicting the failure rate and too low a quantity to be reliable.)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Heyman

-----the nice Collie or the autohelm?

I would think its useful life would be determined by number of hours used and in what kind of conditions. On Lake Michigan my AH gets regular frequent duration use and periodic long duration use when cruising. It was already when installed  bought the boat in 2002 and suspect it is of mid 90s vintage.----so at least 13 yrs and going strong.

good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Lance Jones

Thanks! It's actually a Border Sheltie. A mix of the two. He's my weather dog.

I talked to the Raymarine folks and they said my Autohelm doesn't have any replacement parts available; but, that it should last a good long time sailing on Lake Lanier.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Hawk

Coincidentally, I have my Autohelm 4000 at home and just took it apart tonight, as yesterday when out for a sail it would not power up. I found the cord's double prong plug inside had pulled off. Hopefully that is it.

Otherwise its been great...its a 1990 vintage.
I understand there is a 4000 upgrade or replacement.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ken Juul

I had the original black control head 4000.  It was working great up until the day it died.  Cause was water in the control head.  Could not tell if it came in from the buttons or around the seam in the case.  Repair parts for the 4000 are getting hard to find.  Recommend keeping the cover on as much a possible.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

That's the one that I have. It's circa 1988. Works fine. I have yet to master the auto-tack function. I get the boat around; but, am too busy trimming sheets to notice that the sails are now back winded etc. Will get better with time ... I hope.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

The auto tack function goes 100 degrees.  That is NOT enough to tack a C34.  What we do is hit the auto tack feature and then add another 10 or 20 degrees depending on how hard the wind is blowing (harder, more).  Then get set on the new course and trim up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

The key to using the autotack is to head up as close to the wind as possible before initiating the autotack.  If you're backwinding after the auto tack, you are not close enough to the wind before the tack.

I had a failure of the clutch assembly of my 4000 a while ago.

See this thread for the DIY repair procedure.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4443.0.html

Other than that, my 1992 vintage unit has been very reliable.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Roland, of course, is correct.  I had assumed (and you know where THAT gets you!) that you were already closehauled when you engaged the auto tack.  That's what the manual says to do!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 23, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Roland, of course, is correct.  I had assumed (and you know where THAT gets you!) that you were already closehauled when you engaged the auto tack.  That's what the manual says to do!

You know, Stu, that this board will live on in perpetuity, and you've just committed the cardinal sin of manhood: you admitted to reading the manual! 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Hawk

Stu,
Auto-tack....??...and you led me to believe your singlehanded prowess was due to your elliptical rudder. I have the Autohelm 4000 in my car and can't wait to plug it in and engage my first auto tack. If this really works (and I just printed off the Manual from Raymarine's site), then with the traveler upgrade lines led aft, I may put off eliptical rudders indefinitely. (:

Boy, the things a guy can pick up on this web site.......................

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Craig Illman

Guys - I didn't have to use the Auto-tack function of my wheelpilot last Friday. I just invited a C34 officer to come sailing with me and I got along just fine. That $45 for two years just paid for itself!

Craig

Jon Schneider

Do you know if Jack is available for east coast crewing as well?  I bet his C34IA T&E budget would cover the travel expenses and then some  :thumb:
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - Nah, I think Ruthie has him on a pretty short leash.

:(

Craig