Tachometer Dip Switches configuration for a Seapower system

Previous topic - Next topic

BOB FLEEGE

Partager was zapped by lightening on July 13, 2008.  All electronics have been replaced, repaired etc...The last problem to resolve is the Tachometer/ Hour meter...the old tach had 4 dip switches the new ones have 6+8.  The tach leg has been replaced by Seapower..but we have not been able to get the right combinations of dip switches to make the tachometer work...are there any Cat 34 owners that have a Seapower system that converts the alternator/generator power to 5000 kw.  if so can you let me know what the Dip switches need to be set on to get a good steady reading...Bob Fleege Pensacola Fl  bobpyc1776[no spam] at [no spam]aol.com

Stu Jackson

Bob, I changed your email to eliminate the @.  I suggest to you and everyone else to never post your email address directly on a thread like that for spam reasons, both for you and for the 'Board.

I recommend you contact Teleflex or the manufacturer of your tach to find out the proper setting.  Teleflex has a very good website with multiple recommended settings for their tachs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : As Stu said - contact the maker of your Tach (Seapower?).  If it's Teleflex you need to tell them the number of poles on your alternator and which model tach it is.  I suspect that your tach has a "domed" lens.  Then you can use their formula to set the dip switches.

After that you'll need to get an engine tach to check your actual engine rpm.  Set your self up a chart that when you run "X" rpm on the instrument tach the engine is actually running at ___.  Do this for 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500rpm on the engine instrument tach. 
Then you'll be good to go and really know how fast your engine is running.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

BOB FLEEGE

Stu and Ron, Thanks for the suggestions but here is the rub...The seapower system does not have an alternator...the brain box that converts the power to 110 volts has a tach leg...and it was only supplied with the older systems.(.Now repaired.).I have talked to teleflex and have had my electronics technician who has been helping through the lightening rehab...and teleflex and seapower don't seem to have a solution without a full engineering study that requires my  brain box and an M35 running nearby...I think my best option would be to find a Cat owner...with an M35 that currently has a working tach...Thanks Bob Fleege

BOB FLEEGE

Stu and Ron,  My last sentence should have said an M35 with a Seapower sytem and the new tach with the 6+8 Dip switches..Bob

Stu Jackson

Bob's next post on this subject was misplaced and is Reply #4 here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4787.0.html

Stu and Ron, Thanks for the suggestions but here is the rub...The seapower system does not have an alternator...the brain box that converts the power to 110 volts has a tach leg...and it was only supplied with the older systems.(.Now repaired.).I have talked to teleflex and have had my electronics technician who has been helping through the lightening rehab...and teleflex and seapower don't seem to have a solution without a full engineering study that requires my  brain box and an M35 running nearby...I think my best option would be to find a Cat owner...with an M35 that currently has a working tach...Thanks Bob Fleege
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Bob : If Teleflex and Seapower can't answer your question, I'd be suspect of any answer posted on this form!! 
Here's an idea, Talk to Teleflex and find out the function of each of the dip switches.  Then set the engine at a measured engine rpm with a laser tack i.e. 1500rpm.  Flip the dip switched until the tach instrument matches the measured engine RPM.  Good luck. 
Ron, Apache #788

BOB FLEEGE

Ron,  Thanks for the input...I will keep you informed as to the outcome of this issue...right now I am so pressed for time I am unable to run down your suggestions...I am still hoping that there is bound to be someone in the Catalina family that has a Seapower unit like mine...Hopefully that person will surface and I will be closer to the resolution of my problem the other option would be to find and older Westerbeake tach with the 4 dip switches...that too could potentially provide a solution...chow Bob Fleege

Mike Vaccaro

Bob,

We have a 5KW Seapower unit on our M25.  I don't, however, fully understand your question, since the Seapower system does not interface with the Tachometer at all on our boat.  Our tach derives it's inputs from the engine mounted alternator.  If you like, you can drop a line and we can see if we can work through the circuit logic on this.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

BOB FLEEGE

Mike,  Thanks for the input...I have questions for you regarding your system.  My system has only the seapower alternator/generator ....I do not have an alternator too....there is a tachometer leg installed in the seapower brain box...my old tach (lighting damaged) had 4 dip switches...where the new teleflex tach has 14 dip switches..the new tach will only occasionally respond when my batteries are not charging..when the seapower was not on my tach wouldn't work..when the seapower was on the tach would respond.  I am wondering if I could find an old style tach/hour meter (which is less sensitive) if that wouldn't solve my problem.  I have found the customer support for the Seapower Unit excellent and they have repaired mine more than a few times including the replacement of the logic board and other items in the brain box damaged in the lightening strike.  Regards  Bob Fleege

Stu Jackson

Bob, perhaps I may be misunderstanding, but if an alternator, any alternator, is not being required to output any amperage (from a signal from the regulator, basic battery acceptance, etc.) and the tach is run from the alternator, then the tach output could well go to zero and stay there.

BOB FLEEGE

Stu,  To clarify the situation ...the Seapower Brain Box that converts the power has a tachometer leg that gives a signal to the tach when the Seapow systen is engaged...and did so before the lightening strike.  However, after the repairs on the Seapower box and with the installation of the new teleflex tach I have not been able to discover the right adjustments to reproduce a tach indication...Bob Fleege

Stu Jackson

Understood.  One of the earlier suggestions was to get in touch with Teleflex.  Have you?  The manual for Teleflex is right here on our website:  http://www.c34.org/manuals/index.htm; scroll to the bottom.

Have you checked for output and continuity on the signal line from the Seapower unit to the tach?