1988 Adler-Barbour Fuse size & Tips

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

I checked my Cold Machine Operating Manual (copyright 1985) on page 15 states:
"If you connect in reverse (wire polarity), the fuse will blow and the system will not operate.  Should this occur, correct your wiring and replace the fuse.  A spare fuse is bagged and stapled to the compressor wiring harness (Buss GLN-10 or AGC-10 )."

I checked mine today and I have a red 10amp fuse in place.  As I said on this message board and in a Mainsheet article years back, too large a fuse (15amp) was installed in my unit.  A bundle of line fell down and blocked the cooling fan causing the fuse to blow - that's when I found that the fuse was too large.  I replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 10 amp (about 10years ago) and haven't had a problem since. (the dock lines are secured now!!!)

Someone asked about the thermostate settings.  #1 is the warmest and #7 is the coldest.  I took some red finger nail polish and made marks on the dial    a dot by #4  , a "-" at #1 and "+" at #7.  Now you don't need to see the numbers anymore!!

A few thoughts for what it's worth. 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - Good idea, but it would be more logical to me to make the "1" a plus and the "7" a minus?

Craig

Jon Schneider

I wouldn't remember it either way.  I'm going to mark it with a "C" and "W."  I'm just not sure my wife will let me borrow her polish.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Jon - Better! Ron didn't mention whose polish it was.... :think

Stu Jackson

And to add to Ron's post"

The fuses on the electronic module are 10A from Adler Barbour.  Ron's original Mainsheet article also advised you to change the fuse at the electrical panel from a 15A to a 10A.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The finger nail polish is mine - for slippage marks on nut/bolts.  Neither the 1st Mate or my 3 daughters like the shade of RED that I carry on board!!  I also carry a bottle of white finger nail polish and use red or white for slippage marks on the bolt threads on to the nut!!

I'm not a Home Economics Engineer, but most of the fridges/freezers are normally marked colder with the higher numbers and warmer with the lower numbers, check your's at home Craig.  However, Jon's W a C have some merit.

AB may have changed their units over the years, so it behoves each owner to check what their owners manual states for their unit.  For the my unit in a 1988 C34 it says a 10amp fuse. 

Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - Of course you're right, the one in the kitchen, and I'm sure my AB, has higher numbers for colder settings. The symbols + and - though, imply to me respectively, warmer and colder. So, I think I'll go with Jon's idea of painting "C" & "W" tomorrow. Maybe I should see if my daughter left some blue polish in the cabinet for the "C" and use the red for the "W"?

During my porting of projects and faq's for the new C34 Wiki, I came across your name dozens of times. So, I can blame you when my wife is wondering why I spend so many Fridays or Saturdays up at the boat.  :thumb:

Craig

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 30, 2009, 06:53:26 PM
Ron.... During my porting of projects and faq's for the new C34 Wiki, I came across your name dozens of times. So, I can blame you when my wife is wondering why I spend so many Fridays or Saturdays up at the boat.  :thumb:

I'll second that.  As a result of porting so many articles Ron had written, I quickly learned his sign-off, down to his hull number (788) and the fact that he ALWAYS types his boat name using all caps (APACHE).  Ron, thank you so much for all of your contributions.  It was an honor and delight as I was porting the content over to the wiki (not done yet, but very close!) to go through it all.  And thanks to Stu for collecting much of his own, Ron's, and notable others' threads into "FAQs," which we've also ported over to the wiki.  And special thanks to Craig Illman, who must have coded a hundred pages for the wiki (maybe more!)  I'm depressed that I've been doing it much longer, but he does it at five times my speed.  And, once again, thanks to Ken Juul, who has also coded his share of articles, and Dave Sanner, our webmaster extraordinaire, who set up the wiki. 

You can explore the knowiki at: www.c34.org/wiki.  As of today, we're only about 30 articles short of a complete knowledgebase (occasionally a link will take you to the old Projects/FAQs site areas). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA