Standing Rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

Someone told me that you can change your standing rigging one shroud at a time with the mast standing. I have my doughts about this. does anybody have any knowledge about this subject that he could share? Thanks Paul!!

Jentine

I have removed my backstay with the mast standing and then gone up the mast to replace it with no ill effects.  It is a good idea to use your main sheet or jib sheet to take the load while the standing rigging is off.  I would assume that each piece of rigging could be removed in turn in this manner.  Jim Kane :)

Stu Jackson

A Search of this Message Board finds "Replace Standing Rigging," May 2 to 20, 2001.  Search using the word "standing."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I have removed my forstay by going aloft when one of the furling extrusions bent (a tornado knocked another boat on mine, but that'a a long story...).  It is VERY important to have a halyard led to replace the missing stay.  Also be sure to attach it something secure; best would be the chainplate for the wire you are removing. And make sure its tight.  I suppose you wouldn't need this back-up for one of the lower shrouds as long as the other one on the same side was still hooked up. I also reccomend a calm day and a minimum of two helpers.  Oh, and never go aloft if the boat is on the hard only go aloft when it is in the water.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

breakout

I recently had a problem when my mast was hit by the crane during haul out (the backstay was unattached at the time). I had to recenter the mast and replace all the wedges. I had the mast standing with the wedges in place with ALL the shrouds completely slack as they would be stepping the mast.  No problem at all but it was a very calm day with the boat in the slip.
hope this is some help

Ian mcFall 805