engine oscillations

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

Guys, I'm a rookie here too...what happens when the cutlass bearing is on it's way out?

Jsto,

I'm optimistic...we were able to get a fair amount of the harmonic stuff to disappear by tightening all the lazarette hinges and adding self adhesive weatherstripping to the perimeter http://www.ngpinc.com/pdf/catalog/gasketing%2008%20g12%2Epdf. Perhaps the issue is pseudo-normal...drink a beer just in case...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Michael : You need to join Chesapeake Bay Fleet 12 as we have a cutless bearing removal/replacement tool that club members can use for free !!
If you are interested in joining and meeting other C34 owners at our spring meeting (14 March in Soloman's Isl Md.) contact Rich Freeman at teknikr@yahoo.com).  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

Re what happens when the cutlass bearing is on its way out:

The shaft has room to wiggle around inside the bearing as the propeller turns, pushing 8-9 tons through the water. Imagine the loads being sent up to the shaft coupling and the transmission. This allows the engine to be pushed around some more on its bearings. Things start to wear more rapidly.

If the rubber in the cutlass bearing wears right through, the metal on the strut comes into contact with the shaft, and the shaft becomes scored. As this point the shaft is probably starting to bend as well. The bending can be corrected. but the scoring cannot, and you will need a new shaft.

But don't worry, it's probably not that bad...;-)

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Michael Shaner

Mr. Ron Hill, many thanks for the invite! I almost feel obligated, as the previous owner's fleet 12 burgee was left on the boat. From what I've read, access to the "fleet 12 toolbox" is to be coveted, not to mention the Guru-like knowledge that accompanies it...but then again, I'm one slip away from The Commodore...

How much of a presence is there in the middle peninsula/southern bay area?

My cutlass bearing is OK (at the moment)...just throwing the possibility out there...

Michael & Alison Shaner