New Cockpit Cushions for $150

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

OK.   Not quite.  I reused the old foam and the sewing machine was $800, but I'll amortize that over a new bimini and spinnaker.   But some new vinyl and zippers goes a long way toward making the boat nice.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Albreen

Looks to be a very nice renewal of your cockpit cushions. It appears the Sailrite Ultrafeed helped out with the stitching.......very nice work. May I ask what fabric you used for the covering? I too am interested in replacing the existing fabric on our cushions. 
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

waterdog

The fabric was a white "marine vinyl".   I went with white because it's cool.   I would have preferred the feel of a more breathable fabric, but I would rather be able to wipe off fish blood and red wine stains than do laundry.  Everything is a compromise.   I would not attempt this project with heavy vinyl and a regular sewing machine.  The Sailrite machine is really good.

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Michael Shaner

Steve,

looking good man!  :clap

Perhaps you should consider jettisoning some of your effects prior to your trip to Mexico. That sewing machine couldn't be used for much more than an anchor sentinel in Mexico...its plenty hot down there too, that nice new diesel heater will be taking up way too much stowage space in the lazarette. Maybe a nice, loving home on the Chesapeake? I'd be happy to pick up the freight! :mrgreen:
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

Steve,
you said you reused your foam.  Is it original or been replaced by a PO?  I have similiar cushions. Great to sit on, but soak up water like a sponge through the thread holes.   Real pain to put away from rain or heavy dew, take forever to dry when they do get wet.  Have you found a solution or just living with it too? 

Great job, I think a commercial machine is on my list too.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

waterdog

Ken:

We tuck them under the dodger if we are expecting rain or heavy dew.  They take forever to dry, so we don't get them wet.   

There is solution though.   Sailrite offers a foam that doesn't soak up water.   Not closed cell - that's too firm to be comfortable.  It's more like a flow through foam.   I forget the name.  If you used that with an open weave fabric you would have cushions that would drip dry in half an hour. 

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Michael : I hate to inform you that the Sailrite machine will also operate off of a hand crank!! 
As far as the diesel heater goes  - you know that they say about the desert when the sun goes down.... !!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Ron,

I'm well aware of Michael's tactics.  I've tried to use them myself to upgrade to a MKII.  I won't be fooled...   

Today, I started work on the vertical toolbox.  It's part of my storage overhaul.   Everbody is going to want one.   That two inches of space either side of the companionway stairs?   Shameful waste.   Soon I'll have all my tools readily accessible...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Hmmm... are you kidding about storing your tools in an open sleeve in the companionway?  If you are going to do that, be sure you also rig something akin to what grocery stores use to water their produce, but in this case, you'll need to constantly "water" your tools with oil.  Possibly the inside bulkhead as you enter the aft berth?  What do you (and everyone) do with the space on top of the engine cover and under the stairs in the companionway?  That's where I keep a fairly spacious, waterproof toolbox. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

I too use the space over the engine for a tool box and a couple of gallons of drinking water.

I've heard of that foam, didn't know where to get it.  Since we usually sit on a beach towel to absorb the sweat in the summer, might try to fashon new covers out of a more washable fabric and stuff the new foam inside.  Can probably do that on the old Singer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Ken Juul on January 28, 2009, 05:01:02 AM
Since we usually sit on a beach towel to absorb the sweat in the summer....

TMI re sweaty bottoms!   :cry4`
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Craig Illman

Cockpit cushions! I thought we were sailing MEN here!! Did Magellan have cockpit cushions? Well, maybe he did, but the crew didn't.

Besides the toolbox, the top of the engine cover is a nice place to put shore shoes.

Craig

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 28, 2009, 07:05:14 AM
Besides the toolbox, the top of the engine cover is a nice place to put shore shoes.

It's our understand that the "dog" and his mate will not be touching shore for months, or at least not until they reach Stu's place and raid his rum cabinet, which, in a privateer way, will probably be done in dark of night and bare foot. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

waterdog

It's my understanding that if you break the glass of a rum cabinet with a rusty wrench it doesn't make any noise.   Is this correct?   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Phil Spicer

Sailrite has a foam called Dry Fast. It is an open cell foam. You can pour water on it and the foam won't slow down the flow of water. Water goes right through. If you cover the cushions with phifertex, you almost have instante dry cushions. Phifertex is an open weave vinyl fabric. You can see through the fabric. We have made curtains that zip to the sides and back of the bimini to give us shade at the dock. You can see out & the breeze is not completely blocked. Also split the cushions to move & store easy, & access the port locker.  Don't have to move the person on the port side to get into the locker.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.