New England Ropes VPC

Previous topic - Next topic

Mert Gollaher

Has anyone tried NER VPC line as a halyard?  I'm frustrated by the scallops along the luff of my main with the current Staset halyard, but the NER line selection guide seems to jump from sta-set X to T-900 for main and jib halyards.  I could go with Sta-set X or T-900, but the specs on VPC are better than Sta-set X and the cost differential is negligible.  VPC's costs appears significantly less than T-900.  I'm contacting NER, but does anyone have real world experience?

Thanks
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Ron Hill

Mert : I replaces my OEM halyards years ago with Sta-set-X and am VERY pleased.  :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Wey

Ron,

What is the life expectancy of  your Sta-set-X or any other quality line? My OEM halyards on a 2004 C-36 are past usefulness and safety. Quality has to last  longer than that. How do you  know?

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

David Sanner

VPC has less stretch than Sta-Set-X ... which has
about 50% more stretch for a typical halyard
application.

What's also important is the amount of "creep"  (the
amount the line will elongate under a constant load).
I haven't seen numbers on either but since the VPC
has some vectran in it's core I would think it would
do better...  and for $0.89 a foot for the 10mm
(a bit over 3/8") (--> http://defender.com/ )
it seems like a good option for someone looking
for a bit more performance.  It's also very flexible.
Also I think it's easier to splice than Sta-Set X
parallel core tech but I've never spliced Sta-Set X.

I just ordered a 140' of VPC that I'm hoping to use
for a spinnaker... probably the sheets.  One more
piece in my setup though I still need a kite!

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Mert : I replaced those haylards over 12 years ago.  I did up the size to 7/16" from 3/8".  If there is any stretch I can't tell it.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Wey

Thanks Ron,

When you upped the size to 7/16". I assume there was no issues and it was just a straight swap. Is there any thing different on the Mark II versions of our boats that would be cause for concern? I assume pulley size, load angles through blocks and Jam Cleats will all be fine.

Any experience/comments, any one?

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Mert Gollaher

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I'm inclined to go with the VPC, especially given the pricing, but I'll likely wait a few days to see if I get a response to my e-mail inquiry.  I'll let you know what I hear from NER. 

On the halyard "upsize" front, when I got my boat the PO had installed 1/2" sta-set for the jib halyard - very bad idea.  I went back down to 7/16 sta-set X on that halyard.  It's much better, but there is still some tension in the system.  Based on all the recommendations on this board, I'm swapping out the sheaves this winter for the Garhauer ball bearing versions.  Given the usual great advice from everyone here, I'm expecting perfection!  Actually, I will be quite happy with a smooth running, very low creep system.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Jon Schneider

Quote from: Mert Gollaher on January 24, 2009, 01:18:52 PM
On the halyard "upsize" front, when I got my boat the PO had installed 1/2" sta-set for the jib halyard - very bad idea. 

Mert, why was the up-size to 1/2" a bad idea?  Do you think it caused friction in the sheave or other blocks because it was too large?  I replaced my masthead sheaves last winter (Garhauer, of course... fantastic improvement by going to ball-bearing sheaves), and I would say they could easily take 1/2" as could all my other blocks (though, frankly, I'm not sure about the exit blocks... need to examine them). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

David Sanner

One of the first thing I did I got my c34 was downsize my main halyard from
7/16 to 3/8 and found it ran smoother (though my old, sta-set I think, was old/worn).

Only problem I've had since was my with updated Garhauer rope clutches and
their very sharp teeth that still let the halyard slip and ate up the cover.  I guess
I needed to double up the cover in that area.  I've since filed down the teeth
and end-for-ended the main halyard and had better luck.

I ordered a new ball bearing masthead sheave but never installed
it as it requires disconnecting the cap shrouds...  which likely
means pulling the stick.... maybe one day.

I've also skip the deck organizer (with for some reason is mounted
so the lines have a 90 turn) and run the main halyard from the
mast collar block directly the fairlead under the traveler.

I still usually jump the main from the mast (more or less the
entire way by hand) but if I want to I can get it nearly all
the way up by had from the cockpit.

7/16 is easy to pull... but 3/8 coils up smaller in the cockpit.
At some level it's personal preference.... but having low
stretch & creep definitely seems worth it.

Also curious to hear others experience with VPC

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Mert Gollaher

Jon, I do think the 1/2 was too big and created excess friction - pretty much everywhere.  Even jumping the halyard at the mast was a pain.  I swapped the 1/2 out for the 7/16, and it ran smoother.  It may be that the 1/2 would have run OK on the ball bearing sheaves, but I switched to the 7/16 before the sheave upgrade so I'll never know.  I'm doing the ball bearing sheaves this winter as I have the mast unstepped.  Sheaves in hand; waiting for the cold spell to break. 

I agree with Dave that the 90 degree angles created by the deck organizers on the older boats are a definite design flaw.  I guess if the new sheaves don't get the job done, I'll be skipping the organizers by June.
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Wayne

Question for David Sanner:  I too have the Garhauer rope clutches, and they sure are line eaters!  Can you give some detail of how and how much you filed down the teeth?  And do the clutches hold the same after filing down (I find that I have some creep, even with my lines becoming frayed).  Thanks for your advice.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Mark Wey

Has any one asked Catalina Yachts there opinion and reasoning on the size of the OEM running rigging. Is it just a cost measure that they have 3/8" line? Or is there something else? My problem with the line had to do with the center core breaking through the outer core. It was only 3 years old when the issue came to light. It appears the quality of the line was so poor that the outer core weave was so loose that it allowed the center core to break through in multiple places. I could live with the 3/8". As I think it is only for the ease of handling that makes the 7/16" a better choice. I could do with out the extra line thickness in the cockpit.

Comments please.

Mert, sorry if this thread has been hijacked. Have you received a reply re the your email inquiry on the VPC? What was the just of your email question?
Regards,

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Mert Gollaher

Hijack away; no problem here.  IMHO, one of the best things about this message board is the way questions on some topics flow to related topics as those who have been through it before relate their experiences.

It seems no one who has visited this board in the last few days has used VPC yet.  Dave Sanner is going to use it for spin sheets, and (absent a negative response from NER) I'm going to try it as my main halyard - can't resist the better specs and the $0.89 a foot pricing.

Best,
Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

rirvine

Has anybody seen and / or handled a piece of VPC - how does is handle a rope clutches, winches etc?  It appears to me that the prices (about 1/3 the price of Samson Warpspeed) is saying something but the question is what?  I do not think it is that NER has had a major break through in their technology.

Ray

Ron Hill

Mert : At those kind of price differences I'd be a bit cautious. 
Except for Sta -Set-X, I've stayed away from New England ropes as they do not hold their colors for more than a couple of months.  I've almost completely switched to Sampson from Defender.  Also the price is also much better than West Marine. 
Ron, Apache #788