Rigid Boom Vang

Previous topic - Next topic

BillG

I'm looking to purchase a garhaurer rigid  vang this year. Can anyone enlighten me as to the pros and cons of stainless steel versus the aluminum vangs that are made by them.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

jkar

Don't know about the aluminum one, I have the SS now for 5 years and it is still awesome both in looks and performance.  I run the adjustment line back through a deck organizer and then to a simple cam cleat.  The insane amount of purchase I can trim it with two fingers. Couldn't have been happier.

Hawk

I also installed the SS Garhauer rigid vang last year and ran the line back to the cockpit for ease of adjustment.....looks and operates great.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Jon Schneider

I wasn't aware that they offered an aluminum version, but are you talking about the black-bodied version (RV18-1 DX) that they show on the homepage of their site?  I'm not sure that that really is aluminum, but if it is truly all aluminum, it would be an interesting way to go if all else is equal (e.g., purchase, buoyancy, etc.).  It would be nice to not have dissimilar metals on the mast and boom, and of course, not that it would matter that much, but aluminum would be a much lighter product.  I believe aluminum is far more prone to cracking due its more brittle quality, but I would assume Garhauer would compensate for that.  That said, Garhauer isn't an "aluminum shop" per se; it works primarily in steel, so they may not have a ton expertise in aluminum.  I believe I have the RV20-1 SL, but whatever I have, it was recommended by Guido at Garhauer, and it's been one of my favorite improvements to the rigging.  It's performed flawlessly for four years now. Looks good, and has allowed me to eliminate that damnable topping lift.  I ran the vang's line back to the cockpit through a new clutch, so I tune it frequently.  That, along with Garhauer's EZ-glide jib leads have vastly compensated for my weak sailing skills.  I have found that the best way to deal with Garhauer is to ask them for their recommendation (they really know our boats), and then challenge them by asking if there are any better alternatives (qualitatively better or cheaper).  Be at your computer, on their site, when you talk to them, so you can see the products they describe. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Bill : I agree with Jon that it's probably not aluminum.  Aluminum is too soft and bendable a metal to use as a boom vang for a large sailboat, maybe for a small 15-20 ft it would work.  Besides aluminum pits in a salt water environment unless it's anodized, while stainless will only show a rust mark. 
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Check out the home page for Garhaurer, they are having a 20% sale on rigid vangs and to quote; "You have a choice of aluminum and or stainless steel vang assembly with light weight stainless steel blocks"
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : Buy one in aluminum and let us know how it holds up. 
I'll stick with stainless!   
Ron, Apache #788

Joe and Carol

We have used the stainless on both our old Catalina 30 and current Catalina 34.  Would recommend the stainless.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri