Clipping Points for Safety Tether

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I was thinking about adding some pad eyes to use with a safety tether (mainly for the kids on the boat).  Has anyone installed some and where?  I'm looking at under the companionway,  starboard side by the helm and maybe somewhere on the cabin top?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Rick : Hard to believe that a passage on Lake Travis could get that bad ? - but anyway.
Have you thought about a jack line?  I have one installed permanently on the starboard side.  Use webbing NOT WIRE, as wire will roll under your foot.
I have an eye attached to the outside of the lower companion way on the outside where the step attachment bracket goes thru that wall.  It's there so you can attach on the outside before you leave the security of the companion way steps.  Your safety harnesses should have double clip on attachments so you and connect ahead before you disconnect behind.  A few thoughts.   
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Ron, I find it hard to believe also but I have had 3 kids go overboard.  There is a part of me that believes its more a factor of Texas heat in the summer vs the rough passage.  It does keep me up to speed on my MOB drill, but I'm getting too old for the excitement...

A jack line is a good idea! 

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ted Pounds

I bolted a couple of strap-eyes, with welded SS rings through them, at the companionway.  I used the the bolts that hold the companionway ladder mounts.  That  way I didn't drill any new holes and the ladder-mounts act as sturdy backing plates.   Works great and meets class 3 offshore racing requirements.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

jkar

I run two jack lines down the outside when racing(bow cleat to stern cleat).  For casual sails I just take the tether, wrap and connect to itself and then my son when in the cockpit.  When he wants to get out, I have the spin halyard marked to the top of the life-line and then connect to him (tether would allow him to actually get overboard), then he can run the foredeck back to about 2' behind the spreader and can't get outside the boat as much as he likes.  90% of the time though he is on the tether standing in the back with me.