to the wiki crew...

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

To all those working behind the scenes...Kudos! The wiki site is looking very nice...thanks for the hard work!! :clap :thumb: :clap :thumb:
Michael & Alison Shaner

Jon Schneider

So glad you like it.  It's not quite ready for prime-time, but I wanted to let people start to see and use it (and, please, everyone, give us/me feedback, especially of the helpful/what-to-improve kind).  If memory serves, it was Dave Sanner, the IA's webmaster extraordinaire, who dreamed up the concept of deploying a wiki, and then researched various tech solutions, and finally landed on the one that you see implemented.  Stu Jackson was enormously helpful in the information architecture design (i.e., the topics/hierarchy) while Ken Juul and Dave created all of the menu pages (and thousands of links along with some of the content pages as well).  And Craig Illman has been helping me port over the content from the Projects and FAQ sections of the site.  We're probably a third of the way there.  All of the links work, but some of them still take you to the "old" site.  BTW, if you use the wiki and land on a page/project in the old site that you'd like to convert, feel free to give it a try.  Nothing is irrovocable if you make a mistake (just let me know, and I'll fix it if you can't).  Also, please feel free to build on the wiki pages that exist.  There's a place for comments (a tab), and/or you can build/correct content on the existing pages themselves.  Again, don't worry about screwing up; we can always go back a version (or tweak what you've done).  What's really great is to be able to memorialize some of the best discussions held here on the message board.  For instance, I took the great discussion we had last summer in which John Nixon explained everything we'd ever want to know about Xantrex chargers (and battery chargers in general), which was compiled by Stu Jackson, and I wiki'd it (http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Everything_you_always_wanted_to_know_about_Xantrex_battery_chargers).  Michael MacLeod, of Hali fame, who really started the initial discussion (I think) wrote about his decision to install the Xantrex XC3012 charger as a result of John's review, and I wiki'd his writing as well.  Truth be told, I just ported the content over, so that it wouldn't get buried (as buried) as it might on this message board.  There's a lot of good stuff that the message board generates, so don't hesitate to sculpt into something worthy of posterity ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA