Transition Day

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

At some point a few months ago we made a transition from dreaming to planning.  That was the point where we made the switch from "wouldn't it be nice one day..."   to "how much capacity would we need from bimini-mounted solar panels to address a daily load of 110 Ah?". 

From dreaming to planning.  The next step is doing.  Gotta spend the money, buy the solar panels, do the refit and pack up the house etc.   It's a big step from the spreadsheet.  Today marks that transition point.   

In a few minutes some nice person will wander into my office with some papers to sign.   I will make transition from Steve Dolling, Director Business Development to Steve, Cruiser. 

My new job is refit man.  I'll be taking a few pictures as I sew a new A-sail, cockpit cushions, bimini top and weather cloths.   I'll learn how to install a water maker, solar panels, new rudder, SSB and rigging etc.   I love my new job.

In June, Foster will finish 5th grade and then his real education will begin.  Geography, physics, biology, Spanish, mathematics, geology, engine maintenance and watch keeping among a half dozen other subjects, all from the cockpit and salon table of Blackdragon.   

Mexico, here we come.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : Good Luck and Fair Winds.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

Steve,
Sounds super.  Those of us in the north with the short seasons would really like Mexico about now, especially since they are forecasting -12 to -20 tonight.  Smoothsailing to you.
Mark Mueller
1988 #815 Blue Moon
PS: I see we are only six hull numbers apart.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Jon Schneider

May you never give up dreaming as well. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Michael Shaner

Steve,

Keep those of us still shackled to gainful employment posted...sooo envious...best of luck dude...Godspeed!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Steve,
I you  have access to the internet on your trip, I hope you'll keep us posted on the details of you're trip and where you are.

Good luck! Have fun.
Mike and Joanne

P.S.
I assume you'll be passing through San Diego and I have some special rum from Tortola, BVI. Let me know if we can get together. There is also an excellent anchorage close to us in Mission Bay.
In the main harbor of San Diego, right next to the U.S. Customs dock there is a public dock that you can stay at for $10.50 per night with great facilities and restaurants within walking distance.
If you send me an email, I will give you my cell number. I once posted it on this site but later found out that if you googled it, it would send you to this message board.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mark Wey

Steve, Best of luck. Hope it is all you dreamed it would be. Foster's 6th grade will be a memorable one for sure.  4 to 5 years until it's my turn..

Cheers, :clap

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Tom Madden

Steve, i can't say it better than Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones that you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

i wish you the best, ... tom

waterdog

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on January 16, 2009, 12:38:39 PM
I assume you'll be passing through San Diego and I have some special rum from Tortola, BVI. Let me know if we can get together. There is also an excellent anchorage close to us in Mission Bay. ...

We'll definitely be going through San Diego.   I think it would be fun to meet up other C34 owners on the way down.  I'm planning to do laundry at Stu's house and it would be a great pleasure to drink your rum!
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Quote from: horsemel on January 15, 2009, 05:49:20 PM
... I see we are only six hull numbers apart...

Check all your hose to thru hull fittings in the cabinet in the head.   Undo the hoses and check out the bits.  Make sure they are tight, barbed, and double clamped.  I think the parts bins were running empty that week and they just grabbed whatever would work! :shock:
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ray & Sandy Erps

So are you heading down this year?
Did you decide on what solar panels you were putting on?

We're a couple years behind you.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

waterdog

Yep.  We'll start heading down this summer.   Probably go with Kyoceras - 3 130W panels.

I discovered the secret to starting a successful refit without marital stress.   There is a big trick to it.   The temptations are all there.   You don't want to start with a liferaft, an EPIRB, a 100 cone series drogue.   That will scare her away.   You don't want to start with the new ST60s, radar, chartplotter, and SSB.  Then she'll think it's all about toys for you.   Rig and rudder are nice, but they won't win you any points.   

No.  Here's the secret. 

Get a sailmaker's sewing machine.   Buy 6 yards of marine grade vinyl, 80 feet of 1/8" tubing, and six yards of zipper.   In no time at all you'll have figured out how to do zippers, and piping, and you're halfway to new cockpit cushions for like $130.   Mention that you noticed the Ultrasuede interior fabric was on sale for $20 a yard and your thinking that you might just go ahead and do all the interior upholstery.   Then it starts to look like this adventure might also have some aesthetic upside with real living improvements. 

That's the secret. 

Now I should be able to sneak in the 4208 as part of the radar package and it won't even raise an eyebrow...

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ray & Sandy Erps

Are you going with a wind vane steering system?
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

waterdog

No we're not going with a windvane.   If we were going to circumnavigate or something, I would seriously look at it.   But I decided I don't want the transom clutter (and lines in the cockpit with some of them).   We will go with an autopilot.  I would like underdeck, but I will go with a wheel pilot because I simply can't afford to do everything I would like to do.  So I'll have the new X5 and my older belt driven unit as a backup. 
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat