engine replacement cost

Previous topic - Next topic

jimd

does anyone have a ballpark figure one the cost of replacing the engine on a 1988 Catalina 34.

Ken Juul

If I remember correctly a member paid in the neighborhood of $3500 for a m35 a couple years ago.  www.marinedieseldirect.com can give you a quote, sure you can find other dealers with a google search.   Why the new engine?  Is it rebuildable?  Need more info
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jimd

I'm thinking about buying a 34 and saw one in good condition but the engine had high hours. So I was trying to figure what the potential future cost might be.

Craig Illman

Ken - that figure sounds low. A couple years ago, the local Universal distributer gave me a ballpark of around $7K, with potentially that much more in labor, depending on how close a "drop-in" the new unit was. I expect the question is trying to establish a negotiation point after a survey.

Craig

Craig Illman

Jim - High hours? How high? Low hours could be worse. It all is dependent on how the engine was used and how it's been maintained. Get an engine survey done by someone who doesn't have a vested interest in profiting from a replacement. You're looking for compression numbers and an oil analysis. I really wish I had.

Craig

karista

I aked the Universal Rep at the St. Petersburg Boat Show in Nov. what the replacement cost for the 25MXB cost was. He quoted a price of $7800 for the engine. Then you would have to add the installation cost to it.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Gary

In the northeast the ball park figure is $15K for an engine replacement.  10K for the engine and 5K for installation costs.  There seems to be little interest here in a rebuild of the Universal 25.  Most yards feel it is better to replace than rebuild.  My personal feeling in buying and owning an older C34 (1986 with an M-25) is that I should  "hope for the best by providing excellent ongoing preventative maintenance and be prepared for the worst by being ready emotionally and financially for a replacement"
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ron Hill

Guys & Susan : You need to realistically look at an engine change out/rebuild with more than the usual one question : "How many hours?".  At some point of the "wear out curve", age takes over from hours!!!

I know that Bernd has the closest estimate.  Maybe with the funky economy you can shave off a few $$ of installation, but not too many.  I've scoured the internet and Westerbeke engines are pretty well fixed in price.  Also, don't forget taxes and shipping!!

Rebuild is always an option, but I will warn you that it has to be a COMPLETE Rebuild with all new parts, seals and gaskets.  It must be a like new engine when done (injector pump/oil pump/injectors/water pump etc etc.).  Then you have to look at that cost as compared to that of a NEW engine - not to mention the resale value of a "Rebuild" vrs a "New"!!!  In general a new engine will be an increase in HP.  Then there's the reliability and warrentee factors to consider.

All depends what you are looking for ??  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

It's also gotta fit!  The access on our M25 is excellent.  We have 2289 hours on ours, Ron's XP has over 4000.  Have you seen Dave Sanner's engine rebuild in projects?  Again, how many hours and how well was the engine maintained?  Did the PO give you a detailed maintenance log?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have over 3400 on mine and it runs great!
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

David Sanner

If you do have to repower I would look into Beta Marine engines.

They use the same kubota blocks but are packaged differently than
Westerbeke... a nice improvement from what I've seen.

- very quiet & smooth running.
- heat exchanger built on top of exhaust manifold which
 helps with noise,  significantly less hoses including
 hard piped seawater from pump to exchanger,
 exhaust injection elbow on engine .
- improved air intake. (quiet)
- built in oil pump for changes, easy access to fuel filter
- much better polyvee belt can drive 100amp alternator.
- stop solenoid,  fuel pump, better balanced crank pulley
- 25 & 28 hp 3 cylinder models & 4cyl 35hp models

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

jimd

thanks to everyone for all the great responses. I appreciate it.

jkar

$8800 including tax and installation here in Michigan.  New M-25, drop in replacement.  Only thing that needed to be custom was the instrument panel, the new one is smaller.  Varnished a 1/4" mounting board to hold it in place.  Two days total from dead engine, removal and new install.  Joel

Craig Illman

Joel - Was it a M25-XPB to another XPB? I think the exhaust flanges are different on the XPB from the XP & XPA and the Hurth ZF-6 transmission is an inch longer than the ZF-5 which it has now superceded. Did you get an XPB with the ZF-5 ?

Craig

Ron Hill

Craig : There are a few minor differences between the M25 XP (Oshkosh) and the XPA (Westerbeke).  There are many differences between the XP/XPA and the XPB engines.  The entire exhaust manifold, glow plugs, oil drain to only mention a few. 
See the upcoming Mainsheet (Feb 09) on the HBW and ZF transmission equivelants/changes/differences. 
Enough for now. 
Ron, Apache #788