Garhauer Outboard Liftiong Davit Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

How does the base of the above attach to the deck or the hull? I see the coupling that attaches the davit to the pulpit rail, but cannot determine how or if the base of the davit is connected at it's base.
Thx
Stewart Napoleon
Desiree, C34 #1472

stewartn@optonline.net
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Jim Hardesty

I have a 2001 mkll so i assume that our boats are similar.  The po installed the Garhauer lifting crane, said that he got the idea from this website, but I didn't find anything with one search. 
The installation is simple, he just drilled thru the starboard seat, then mounted the base ball below it.  To use you just drop the "pipe" thru the hole onto the "ball" then mount the crane on the "pipe".  It works great, very secure, when I bought the boat thought it was just another thing to sit at home.  But with the crane I use the dinghy much more.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

The ball gets mounted on the deck or coaming or top of the transom and the vertical tube just drops onto it, like Jim says.  Our ball is on the aft end of the coaming, far enough away from the dinghy motor mount on the pushpit so that the drop from the end of the crane is vertical onto the motor.  Others have placed their ball further aft on the flat section just aft of where the coaming drops down to the level of the top of the transom.  You might want to be careful about dropping the ball as low as the seat (I'm assuming that Jim mans the helmsmans seat) because the top of the davit drops, too, and may not be high enough to get enough lift for your motor depending on what type of motor holder and size motor you have.  Remember, this info is for a Mark I and you have a Mark II with a different cockpit configuration.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stewart : There is an article in the Mainsheet tech notes on the mounting of the Garhauer lift on a MKII.

If you talk to Garhauer they also have a stainless adapter that will mount (90 degrees) on a vertical wall and hold the ball base to the lift. 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Stewart,
If you haven't already purchased the Garhauer lifting arm I recommend you look at the Kato Marine model which is, imo, simpler, sleeker and less industrial looking. Very well made and you send them some pictures of your boat and they'll recomend the best location and mounting bracket.

http://www.katomarine.com/

Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Stewart : Tom is correct with his Kato evaluation, but you may want to look at the increase in cost $$$$.
The Garhauer lift is both functional, affordable and not that bad looking. 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron is right as the Kato product is more expensive and meaningfully so.

I found that the Garhauer horizontal arm and 6 to 1 purchase was too much, too bulky. The Kato 4 to 1 option makes it very easy to lift up my 6hp outboard. And as I said it is a sleeker unit which for me was a factor when mounting a contraption on the rail.

If you can view both in person, preferably mounted, it sure helps.

Both are well made. I should point out that on the Kato you simply unshackle the line and pulley to remove it. The lifting arm itself is one piece.
Ok I went with what looked best to me! That way I knew I would only cry once...ie writing he cheque.
Tom

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35