Storage/Access question

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I have enjoyed all the posts on this site and there is a wealth of insight into our wonderful boats. Thanks for all the help. :clap

Now for the question...

Has anyone ever put an access panel BEHIND the sink? I was thinking of cutting an access panel through the back of the settee similar to those used for storage behind the port & starboard settee's. Are there any problems other than watch out for hoses, wires, etc? Also, what is the material that they use to line the cut out on this type installation to guard the rough edges. My other option was a drop down door to cover it.

Cheers!

P.S. How'd the best pharmacy post get on the site?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Access panel:  Why do you see the need to do so?  Other than that, the liner material most likely can be found at Catalina Direct.com. 

Spam?  See http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4647.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

I think that it would be usefull on my boat for access to the sink and faucet & drainhoses. I know I plan on updating the drains soon and IF there were a leak or some other emergency, It would provide me more direct access to an area I can't really reach from either the drawer side or the door at the end.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

I've been putting off redoing the sink drains because we have a microwave where your small drawer is under the sink.  This gives me another approach, literally and figuratively.  Hmmm....
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

since it will probably only be accessed to work on the sink.  Make your cut out.  Epoxy backing blocks Top, bottom, left & right onto the back of the remaining seat back.  When you are done working on the sink/plumbing  put the cut out back in place and use screws to hold it to the backing blocks until you need to get in again.  Depending on how your water hoses are routed, may have to move them before you start cutting.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Lance : There are a number of articles on removing the small drawer under the sink and expanding access from the steps side of the sink.  Some people have used a louvered door, where I enlarged that small drawer with a much larger drawer.  I can pull out that drawer and frame, and have full access to the plumbing under the sink.

Look at some of the articles I've written on making extra storage (Mainsheet Tech Notes Nov 06). 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Well, I made the cut after work and I'm pleased with the results so far.
Image 1 area before modification
Image 2 marked area
Image 3 cut area
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Image 1 is of the access area
Image 2 is a different angle
Image 3 after basic clean-up

Note: will add moulding trim when I find it. With cushion in place, one can't feel the cut-out
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

You now have access to the back, but you still might want to modify the front to gain even wider access and have more storage ?!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

I had planned to add the bigger drawer already; however, I was waiting on the H&L catalog. It arrived Saturday.  :D
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

One more image with the cushion in place
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Hawk

So you plan to leave it open I take it? Or will you rig up something Ken suggests?
It does open access to some of the hard to get at hoses and above the water tank.
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Lance Jones

At this point I plan to leave it open. I saved the cut out if I decide to do it differently. When I was having my survey done, the surveyor was pointing out areas where dampness could lead to mold issues. This was one of those areas. So, this might provide some circulation that may ease that issue. Jury is still out.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

The Admiral has spoken!  :shock: I shall cover said opening with an access hatch in the next few weeks. I'll post an image if anyone wants it when I'm done. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : You won't find that drawer in the H & L catalog.  You'll have to give them the measurements and have it made to size -- if you want the largest drawer for that space between the sink drain and the heater.  A thought 
Ron, Apache #788