Sound Proofing

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

Does anyone have experience with "Silent Running"?  This is a sound deadening paint used in marine applications that converts sound energy into heat (+1 - 2*f).  I went to my local marine store to replace the sound proofing in the engine compartment and found this product.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://silentcoating.com/index.html

Thank you,

Mike
1987 C-34
Mike

Craig Illman

Mike - I had heard that it was more appropriate for metal hulls. You might contact them & see what the manufacturer says.

Craig

Ron Hill

Mike : You may want to look at my article in the C34 Mainsheet tech notes, on the sound proofing that I replaced last year!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Albreen

Hi Mike,

I've been intrigued by Silent Running as a product but have no first hand experience. However, I just received the latest edition of Practical Sailor's 'Guide to Sailing Gear'. PS had this to say: ( I hope it's OK to paraphrase PS as the source of information)

In a separate test, PS editors evaluated a relative newcomer to the soundproofing market - Silent Running.

1- It's paint on - more versatile for some applications
2- PS listed the manufacturer claims for the product as nontoxic, fireproof, VOC-free, and able withstand temps from (-) 30 to 375 degrees F.
3- Reportedly resistant to gas, oil and most chemicals.
4- only 1/16" thick is needed to reduce noise

And went on to say, it is not cheap at $150/ gallon but takes up less space than other systems, is very easy to apply and quite functional. PS also said it may not outperform its thicker rivals, but it does offer an appealing alternative for aftermarket installations.

It appears to be a middle of the road evaluation but this could be due to the product being relatively new to market. Perhaps purchasing the quart size bottle to test an area first before taking the leap into a larger purchase would be prudent. Good luck.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain