Mast Paint

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

I have the mast down for the first time in several years, and noticed some of the white finish coming off on the spreaders. The mast had the factory white finish. Can someone recommend a good product to touch up the sections with the peeling paint?
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Jon Schneider

I think Stu is having some computer problems, otherwise I wouldn't be beating him to the punch.... Have you tried searching this message board?  There are lots of good threads already on the topic.  There are also articles in Tech Notes if you're a C34IA member (and why wouldn't you be?)  Plus, the wiki has an archival thread from the old FAQ section here: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Boom_Refinishing   8)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Steve : Look in Projects.  I even took a picture of my can of mast touch up paint and posted it when another C34 owner said that Interlux never made that color!!
Ron, Apache #788

Mert Gollaher

A guy at our club with a Tartan 3700 had his mast pulled the same day I did last fall.  His mast looked great, and I asked what paint and process he used.  He said the PO had done it with rustoleum.  Hard to believe, but that's what he said.  Anyone ever heard of that?
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

Yes, RUSTOLEUM satin or gloss white mtaches our spar white.  I'd been using the satin, but the gloss would be better, specially on the boom.  Once about two feet away, you can't see the difference.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mert Gollaher

Thanks, Stu.  Sounds like I'll be giving Rustoleum a try in a few spots this Spring.  Any special prep for it?
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

We prep with acetone and generally tape off areas to paint.  Spray on non-windy day, of course.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

If the spreaders are made of aluminum (I'm not sure), you need to prep aluminum with an "etching" solution after you bring the area you're going to paint down to the metal.  You can get this solution at any quality hardware or paint store.  It's important to etch the aluminum shortly (within an hour or less) before you're going to apply the paint; otherwise the aluminum will oxidize and provide a bad surface to hold the paint. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA