Water tank leaks...from the top

Previous topic - Next topic

One Love

Well here is a new one. I've dicovered that the forward water tank leaks from the inspection cover to the point of flooding the compartment. This happens when I fill the tank to the point that water is full to the top of the tank. I have tightened and adjusted to different levels and it still leaks. This morning I called the Catalina dealer to order a new O ring that is under the inspection cover, and the dealer says that he is not even sure that there is suppose to be and O ring there. So here is my question, has anyone else had this problem, and is there suppose to be and O ring in place.

Reno Viola
One Love 142

Jeff Tancock

Yes, I found mine leaking a couple years ago. I just used some teflon tape when replacing it. I don't recall any O ring ever being there and there isn't one now.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

jsbbritt

I also used teflon tape to address the same problem.  I found no O ring at that port.

Roc

My forward water tank inspection port does have an O-ring.  So does the inspection port on my holding tank.  The tanks are made by Ronco, call them up and see if they can send you one.  Or you can try to get one from a plumbing supply shop.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

sdaly66

I have a knack for taking bad ideas to their natural fruition, so wanted to ask before I started this project.

The way I can currently tell that my holding tank if full is when there is a smelly leak of fluid (don't ask) from the pumpout hose fitting on top of the tank.  I would prefer another method of gauging this so here's what I thought.

What would happen if I installed a clear (see through) deck plate (screw down type) somwhere on the top of the tank.

Are these things tight enough not to wee odors?  It WOULD give me a convenient way to look in the tank and see how full it is.

Opinions?  Anyone down something similar?  Is there a generally accpeted solution to this problem?

I'm looking for any solution that will warn me (or allow me to check) when the tank is nearing its limit.

The term that comes to mind every time I get the thing full is "19 gallons of waste in an 18 gallon sack".

Ken Juul

I think I finally go mine to stop leaking by using plumbers putty instead of teflon tape. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

tonywright

I did remove my tank last winter to clean the inside. The access port does make it possible to insert a long brush to scuff up and remove any crud on the bottom. You have make me think about the seal on the port. I will check it when I am next at the boat.

Re holding tank:  Many seem to have addressed this successfully by installing a tank monitor with external sensors. This is on my list of projects to do. Logically it seems unwise to add more holes to something that you really don't want to leak or smell, if you can solve the problem without taking the risk.

I would be interested in people's experience with the different systems available before I purchase a kit. Maybe we should start a topic on that? (So far the preference seems to be for Dennis Figuera's system (sp?). It seems to be able to profile the v-shape of the tank, to more accurately record the volume.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

sdaly66

External sensor? hmmmmm.

Anyone done this?  I'd love to hear about it if you have.  Who sells the most economical, yet reliable, one?

sail4dale

http://www.ferriellosales.com/

I installed the sensor last year and it is great.  The cooperation from Ferriello is excellent and the product installs easily and the price is right.  What else can you ask?

He gives a discount to Catalina owners too  :clap

Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Larry Robertie

Quote from: sd66 on June 21, 2007, 01:37:47 PM

The way I can currently tell that my holding tank if full is when there is a smelly leak of fluid (don't ask) from the pumpout hose fitting on top of the tank.  I would prefer another method of gauging this so here's what I thought.

What would happen if I installed a clear (see through) deck plate (screw down type) somwhere on the top of the tank.

I did that project just a little wile ago.  It's "holding" up well.  You can read about it at http://robertie.com/blog/?p=39.  I also have a tank monitor with external to the tank sensor, just have not hooked it up yet.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Michael

sd66 and Larrie Robertie - C'mon guys.  We know you aren't really installing windows into your holding tanks.
Michael MacLeod, "Hali" 1997 Hull #1352, Universal M-35B engine, Vancouver, BC

Ron Hill

Reno : On the older boats the water tank inspection port has a tapered thread and should not have an "O" ring. 
I use pipe dope, but both surfaces must be dry when applied.  Works much better than Teflon tape.   :->
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Reno, I had the same problem and discovered a pressure leak in the 'welding' of the tank material around the circumference of the inspection port, removed tank and had repair made for $25-50 and no further problem since last year.

Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

dgill

To add one more brief comment...the only time the forward water tank leaked from the inspection port on my boat was when the vent in the stanchion was blocked by those mud daubber wasps.  This created internal tank pressure when the tank was filled which caused the water to "escape" by other means.  Once I cleared the dirt out of the deck stantion vent this area no longer leaked.   :D
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

tonywright

I have now checked, and found that there is indeed an O-ring. While I had the cushions off, I filled the tank, and it leaked despite the O-ring. Looks as though teflon tape or similar is required.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada