Help Why did I buy this Fine Sailing Machine ?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

horsemel

Peter,
Melinda and I sleep in he aft berth.  I am 6'1" and 211 lbs so not such a little feller.  The first year we suffered sore backs and purchased a queen sized memory foam mattress at WalMart for under $100.00. It is now very comfortable.  As for the two things that Capt. Spicer says they do in the V bert?  Well, we accomplish them just fine in the aft berth, thank you very much!

We like the table in the salon.  Mel likes to read at the table and I like it better than the desk at the nav station when working on paperwork.

Everybody has the same issues with the ice box.  In our experience I think you will find a "method" for using yours that works for you. 

Remember that you got the boat because you love the water, sailing, peace and serenity that comes from being away from work and other hassles.  These things you mention aren't problems, but merely eccentricities of a new woman in your life that you have to adjust to.
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815 
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

waterdog

I do not understand why there is no reference to this anywhere else on the site.   

I am not sure why it is such a big secret.   

But I'm going to go ahead and disclose the truth and forever enhance the value of the C34 in the global market place. 

The C34 was designed for good sex.   

I am not going to be vulgar and share the details of the ergonomics of bunk heights and foot bracing and what not.  Each owner, I'm sure, eventually discovers it for themselves.   The only real shortcoming was in the space behind the wheel on the cockpit of the MKI, but it looks like that was addressed in the MKII.

So there.  The truth is out there now. 

One more reason to buy a fine sailing machine. 

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

sail4dale

Great bunch of comments about the C34 Mk II   I agree with them all.  Regarding the "reading" in the V-berth ... Being a vivid night reader this is where I do my serious reading and I simply prop some pillows in the corner of the berth and sit up very nicely.  The real problem comes with the light that GLARES in my eyes and also true for the Admiral on the port side. 
Our solution has been to wear a visor or billed cap.  I've mentioned this to Gerry Douglas and he admitted that light wasn't optimum for reading but offered no solution. 

We advanced to the 34 from 18 years with a Cat30 and it took some adjustment .... about one long sail  :clap  Our table has been used for a berth about 5 times and is is a slight pain to remove the cushions to get it down but what can you do when you have 7 sleeping aboard after an overnight race? 

We sail with others owning a Cat36 and area ble to keep up or beat them and my slip fees are sooooo much better.  our marina allows 5' of overhang in a 30' slip so no slip availability problems.  Love our True Luff and am sure you will too.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

mtullier

I just built a new table to replace the oversized one.  Makes a world of difference.
Mike

Michael Shaner

Mike,

That is one sweet looking table...what did you use for materials?
Michael & Alison Shaner

Roc

Peter,
Comparing the C320 with the C34, back in 2000 when I looked at both boats, going down the companionway stairs made a big difference.  On the C320, the steps are not positioned properly (apparently, to save room, the step 'run' is compressed and makes it difficult to manuever them).  On the C34, the steps are wide and positioned properly, making them easier and safer to climb.  The other bone I had to pick with the C320 is the tie rods clocked you in the head when sitting at the dinette table.  The 34 has no such issue.  I did notice on the 'redesigned 320', the chain plate tie rods are set back more.

Overall there are many pros and cons everyone can come up with.  Sometimes I shake my head at why did they design something that way on our boats.  But the main use for the 34 is that it is a sailboat, and sailing is what she does best!

Those that want more home-like comfort, should buy a Hunter, and enjoy a floating summer home.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

canuck

I suggest you name the vessel " KWITYERBITCHIN' "

Boats are probably the most expensive things most people buy next to their residence. Due diligence is the normal procedure.

I'd contact the marina and see if you can moor your 34 in your present slip. Good luck!

Up in this part of the country, you line up moorage first, and then buy your boat!

I read this and other Catalina forums long before we bought ours new in 2004.

You actually have the perfect boat - you just have to change and adapt to it!

Lance Jones

I too had smaller Catalina's before stumbling into our 1988 C-34 by accident. We were actually looking for a 36 or larger. However, it was love at first sight.

I'm 6'1" and 270 in me swim suit. The aft cabin is awesome to us and one of the features we love. Yes, it is a bit of a game of twister to get in and out of; but, once you're there....... It is an ideal place to stack the pillows up and read with your back against the hull liner. You have two swivel lamps that will light your book rather well. We have one of our dogs, a Jack Russell, sleep with us too. Yes, I too use that space for "Other" things quite easily!!!!! But, the nice thing is, in cooler weather, a down cushion topper and comforter keep us plenty warm. So warm in fact that I have to take my Gill base layer off. That usually leads to the "other" thing....

We also made a smaller "coffee" table. The big one is still stored forward in the V-berth so that we can add more sleeping room or when we want to just lounge around and watch the flatscreen TV on the bulkhead wall.

Our V-bert insert already had the velcro mod and works great.

Is Kitty's Cat puuuuurfect? No, but we are working toward improving the small issues we have. That's also part of the fun of owning a boat ... doing those little things to creat that unique fit between you and the boat.

Cheers!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Here is a photo of the TV and table
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Peter,
About your dinette table. Most of the folks I have heard from on this board talk about a table with a spring loaded center post that you must wrestle with and compress until your face turns blue to lower the table to use as a bed. However, mine is different and I don't know if it came that way or a previous owner converted it. Mine basically has a fixed or solid post that I just loosen a retaining nut on the bottom of the table, lift the table off the post, pull the post out of the floor socket and then lay the table in the slots provided. I haven't had to take off the cushions and the post just stores under the table. It's sort of like the tables that are in campers or motor homes.

Does anyone else have my type?

By the way, which Peter are you? The pumpkin eater or the that robbed to pay Paul   :D

Welcome to the group!

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

ellispe

I had the table with the Ridged rod in it. Must be the same kind you have. On New years when I spent my first night, the rod was rusted and would not come out. It was 11:30 PM new years and I am running around the dock looking for someone to lend me a pair of heavy duty channel locks. I should have been looking for beers.  With that and a socket wrench I was finally able to get the rod out and lower the table.

Even with all that it still took a few people to jiggle and wiggle the table just to get it out and in. I looked online and saw some fancy stainless telescoping gas filled pedestals but they were all from Europe. I am sure they cost a bunch. The pictures you all sent of your tables are great and will give me some ideas for mine.

Not to bitch again about the Ice Boxes, but I just don't get it. The 309 the 310, the 320 have at least two, some three and some even have an additional upright fridge. The 36 also has ample boxes. I keep having this dream that there was another Icebox and I just did not see it. Guess I better go back to bed.

So... Tomorrow they take my 28 away and thus open the door for me to move my new boat in. I still am not sure what the LOA is as I keep seeing different numbers on different websites.  So the fun will continue.

Thanks again for all your help
Peter

Craig Illman

Peter - Depending on your anchor, assuming the longer bow roller on the MKII, I'd say your LOA is 35'7"

Craig

mtullier

Michael,
Thank you for the complement on the table.

The table is 1/2" teak plywood and the trim is made of mahogany.  Used cetol gloss top coat for the finish.  Here is another pic with the old table underneath to give an approximate size.
Mike

Jon Schneider

Quote from: ellispe on January 07, 2009, 05:39:49 PM
Not to bitch again about the Ice Boxes, but I just don't get it. The 309 the 310, the 320 have at least two, some three and some even have an additional upright fridge. The 36 also has ample boxes. I keep having this dream that there was another Icebox and I just did not see it. Guess I better go back to bed.

Peter, you seem pretty focused on the fridge.  If you're simply wondering why CY hasn't adopted a more contemporary galley configuration, the answer is that the C34 was designed in 1982-83, and then it was marginally enhanced (IMO) in the Mk II in 1994.  IOW, it's an old (I would say classic) design.  You're comparing it to much more contemporary designs.  I also think you're confusing refrigerated space with dry storage.  The 309 (and I believe the 320) have fairly spacious front loading "dorm-like" fridges that require you to bend over to reach in and find stuff.  That stuff is also very likely to fall out if you try to open the fridge while sailing on a heel.  That's why the C34 continues to be a SAILboat.  There is a smallish built-in, top-loading dry storage locker embedded into the countertop on the 309/320, but it is not refrigerated (I think this is what you are thinking is the second refrigerator).  Personally, I think this is the worst of both worlds: a refrigerator that spills cold air out when you open it along with its contents, and a top-loading, prone-to-clutter bin with a heavy-to-remove top.  But that's just me.  I'm not suggesting that our dated fridge is ideal; it just works for me.  That said, I have no doubt that if people really prefer the 309/320 galley configuration, CY will eventually propagate it throughout their line.  They're very Darwinian that way; what works survives. 

Separately, if you're pissed that the C34 doesn't have the same fridge and dry storage as the 309 and 320, I wonder why you're saying that now after the purchase.  After all, it's not like anybody could hide that fact from you, right?  Did you not look at it (or any other C34) before you bought it?  BTW, did you consider the C350 when you were looking?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA