Help Why did I buy this Fine Sailing Machine ?

Previous topic - Next topic

ellispe

I just purchased a 2005 Catalina 34 and spent my first day and night (new years eve) on the boat. Unfortunately what I thought would be a great adventure turned out to be an uncomfortable stay.  Now I am having second thoughts and need your help.

First, thing I noticed when I brought my groceries in was that there was no real storage in the Ice Box to store anything of substance. I looked at a Catalina 32 and it had 3 ice boxes !.  I though, my boat is bigger it should have more storage. 

The next thing was the dinette table. I am not large, but I could barley squeeze in-between the tabletop and the cushions.  When it was bed time the frustration continued when I tried to convert the dinette table into a bed. I had to remove all the cushions from the settee (what a pain)  to  put the table down and that was only after I had to manhandle the table out of its base to remove the center pole that was rusted into its base. Surely their must be a better solution for this.

Once I had the dinette bed set up I moved towards the ¼ birth. The headroom was so low in there that there was barely enough room for my 5 year old. I am only 5-9 and I can not even put my knees up without hitting the ceiling. Again, not to harp on the 32, but the ¼ birth in the 32 seemed like the penthouse suite compared to the ¼ birth on the 34, and my previous boat a Catalina 28 also had more room.  Now I have to admit, I did notice this before I purchased the boat but it did not really hit me till I spent the night on the boat.

And last but not least the v-birth.  First, has anyone had issues with the mattress insert in the front of the V-birth falling to the floor? This happened to me a few time during the night. Another thing I noticed was that I was unable that unlike my Old Catalina 30 or my previous boat a Catalina 28, I was unable to sit up in the V-Birth and read with my back to the wall.

So... Having said all that, I know I have not actually sailed my boat with the exception of the Sea Trial, but on-board comfort is important too.  I just sold my Kidney's to purchase this boat, and what I would like to ask you fine Catalina 34 Owners is... What are some of the good points this fine boat that I may have not noticed in my day on the boat that puts this boat as a better choice over a Catalina 32 or 36.

Many Thanks

Peter

Stu Jackson

Welcome to our website, and to you and your C34.

As you work your way around the website, you'll find lots of answers to questions you've raised, as well as ones you have yet to think up.

The aft cabin (1/4 berth?) you mentioned has always had admirers and detractors.  Many have bought the boat because of that aft cabin (we did) and learn to live with the head knocker entryway.  Some people call it the "garage" and you can use the search engine to find more posts that way.  We eventually moved up to the (world's biggest) V berth.  The question about the insert has been raised a number of times, with varying approaches.  Try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1268.0.html and http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4340.0.html

Storage in the ice box:  I am not familiar with the other boats you mentioned and their coolers.  Folks have taken extended cruises with these boats, and we've done long trips with ours.  Maybe it's minimalism, but gosh, how much could you need for weekend? :shock:  Just kidding.   Many of us have augmented the galley storage issue by placing shelving in the nav station hanging locker.  See: http://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/shelves.html

Dinette table: We've used the dinette for sleeping maybe twice, plus a few other times with guests.  Our table works fine, and our Mark I cushions are easier to move than the hard bottomed Mark II cushions.  You might learn from this: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4384.0.html

Sorry you had what seemed to be a negative first experience.  You're right about going sailing though! :D

Why did we buy the boat?  See: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-c34-owners-review.html

Nice to see you here, and we look forward to pointing you in the right direction in answer to any questions you might and will have.

You may also be interested in THE GUIDE to the C34 Website, right on the message board (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2629.0.html).  It will give you some background of what's happening here, and what's available to you.

As for comparisons, it may not be worth going there, but I'll try:  I personally feel that the interior saloon layout of the 32 is backwards compared to the C34:  think about it -- the head wall on the same side of the dinette seating makes the saloon look much smaller visually, it's like a Beneteau layout.  The C36?  Great boats, just like ours, almost the same, but a completely different approach to interior layout, plus a forward head.  I have lotsa friends with C36s and we exchange much information because the systems on both our boats are the same.  I just like the midships head location.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Sounds like you have found all the major issues...

All are correctable with information here on the site.  Well, almost all...  I have never sailed the 32.  I did have a Catalina 30 before and although I thought she was a great boat, the C34 sails better and has more room.  I think you need to spend some time sailing before you start regretting your decision.

I've added storage space and shelves.  A smaller dinning table cuz I'm a big guy and didn't fit with the old one. I take an ice chest for beer if I'm taking lots of food.  Velcro will solve the v-berth insert issue.  Let the kids stay in the aft cabin.  And I've learned to drink my rum neat....

Or see if Catalina will let you swap for a 32...

Good luck,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

Peter:

Did you sell both kidneys?   A few owners have made that mistake.   The dialysis supplies take up all the room in the ice box.   You were supposed to sell one of yours and one of your wife's.   

It sounds like you have a problem boat.  I've got a nice clean 1988.  V-berth slot stays in.  Table goes up and down smoothly.   We can do a straight trade.   You'll be more comfortable.

Steve

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Jon Schneider

Peter, I'm sorry the experience has been less than desirable for you.  I think you'll have to discover the fine points of the boat on your own, because I'm sure they're rather personal; what works for me won't for you.  For instance, while I don't think the galley has a ton of storage space, it's not a problem for me because we never sail for more than five or six days and always visit places where we eat in town when we do cruise.  So our food storage requirements aren't that great.  I use the starboard locker (you have two; I only have on large one on my Mk I) over the saloon settee for additional dry storage.  

Do a search on the dinette table pedestal, and you'll find some good guidance on that problem.  Whatever you do, don't use any lubricant on it.  Counter-intuitively, the use of lubricant will ruin the pedestal action.  In fact, I suspect your PO didn't know that and used some on yours.  I agree with you about the dimensions of the table.  Many of us have fashioned new ones that are smaller.  Again, there are good project articles that describe how.  (Download the "knowledgebase" to do a convenient search.)  Also, you've joined the C34 IA, right?  You should be getting a CD with back Tech Notes, and I'm sure the table project is readily found there as well.

I suspect that I'm a bit larger than you (3" in height, but probably quite a bit more in girth as well), but I happen to like the snugness of our interior.  I'm not sure if I ever thought to read by sitting against the wall in the v-berth (sounds like I can't), but we tend to go there to sleep (or other adult activities) rather than read.  Again, different strokes for different folks.  I also tend to think of the aft berth (it's a lot bigger than another boat's "quarter" berth) as a bit of a miracle.  I think the original C34s actually didn't have the full berth, but some ingenious owners fashioned the space out, and CY picked up on the idea.  (I could be making this up; perhaps it evolved on the C36 first, and then was adapted to the C34.)  To me, it's a little cubby hole of a sleeping closet.  I don't expect it to be much roomier than a casket.  If you turn into a vampire, you're going to love it!

But since you asked, I will tell you that, for me, the finer points of the C34 are very much about how she sails.  I love sitting on the lee coaming and watching the wake (on moderate breeze days of course).  I love the cockpit in general; in fact, aside from how well she sails, I think it's the most comfortable cockpit of just about any boat around.  And she has pretty lines.  And her mechanical systems are, for the most part, pretty well thought out and relatively easy to service.  I keep looking for reasons to get a different boat, but I can't find any.  I go to boat shows, and I don't think there's another boat that compares, although I happen to also like the C36 and the C42.  But ours is the perfect size for me.  And while I'd like a Morris or Hinkley daysailer as a "second car in the garage," I'm still in love with my C34.  Like my wife, I love her (the boat and my wife) more everyday.  You might just find the same thing happens to you.  And when you whisk past the competition (unknowing or otherwise), you'll wear a C34 smile on your face that won't go away.

BTW, there's an excellent first and second year summary of the ownership experience by Steve Lyle.  Do a search for "weblog."  It's well worth reading, though you have a much new boat than Steve's, so you won't have as much to fix (but it might make you appreciate yours more <wink>).
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

ellispe

Jon, Waterdog, Rick, and Stu, I have to say that you hart felt and knowledgeable responses have made my day. I now feel that I am not alone in this quest and feel honored that you have graciously accepted me into your Catalina 34 sailing community.  I will diligently look at all of your recommendations.

I love Catalina's and owned a 30 for 12 years and have had my 28 for 3 ½ Years. I do not think I have had enough time to bond with my new boat as is still at another harbor port as I just sold my Catalina 28 last weekend and are waiting to have that boat moved to its new owner before I can move my new boat to my slip.  The word is not out yet on weather my new boat will fit in my slip as it's officially a bit big for the marina's hang over policy.

Looking forward to many more online engagements with you all.

Peter

tommyt

I will only respond on two items, one of which has been covered.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

tommyt

Guess I better tery again.

1. Already covered, I think you will end up loving the boat.
2. That v-birth insert can be a very dangerous item. I had bruises to prove it the first time I used it. The support boards on both sides needed to be larger on mine. Took off the originals and put on 2x2's stained to match the interior. That allows the board on the insert to be held in place as it was designed (poorly) to do.Stays in just fine now no matter the conditions.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ken Heyman

Welcome Peter to the world of the 34. As others have commented on the specifics, I will not opine other than philosophically and practically. Practically, I often wear a bike helmet when rooting around in the aft cabin. Philosophically, view this as the "adjustment period" like in a marriage (although it shouldn't take as long)

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

hump180

Peter, simply use velcro strips with peel away adhesive backing to hold your v-birth insert in place purchased at a local hardware. You will have to use staples to hold the velcro on the insert itself, but the adhesive backing will hold to the wood well on the structural part. As for the table, many people probably would not go this route, but my wife and I removed our table completely and fixed an inspection plate to it for easy reinstall in the future. For us, this really opened up the interior space. You can just plop down anywhere in the dinette without having to scoot in, and whe its time for another beer you just jump right up. Of course we really dont eat sit down meals in our boat and if we do we can just use trays.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Jack Hutteball

Peter, for the table, some owners on the Markll have added a teak block between the pedestal and the table, keeping the table the same size but raising it a bit.  This makes it easier to get in and out.  As far as dropping it, I don't bother taking cushions out (we don't use it that much for sleeping, just when grandkids are aboard) I simply loosen the clamp, plop my big behind in the center of the table and do al little wiggling.  It slides past the cushions OK.  Back up just takes some table wiggling for me.  I found it gets easier as you use it.

Re the refer, it takes a bit of planning, but I use all three levels and have been out for as long as 3 weeks with no problems and we stay on the hook most of the time.  Just load the things you use last on the bottom and work your way up. As you use it you work your way dow.  For cold drinks I keep a cooler that just fits in the stern opening walkway (Costco) and fits tight against the ladder.  Sticks out less than the seat depth.  That also eliminates getting in the refer and saves on your energy bill.

We love our 34 and would not trade for anything we have seen out there.  And sailing, the boat is so balanced that in a steady wind I can leave the wheel unlocked and she will sail herself.  I do not have the luxury of an autopilot.

Fair winds and calm seas as you learn the joys of your new mistress.

jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Roc

Peter,
You'll find the C34 as a very well designed sailing machine.  I agree, storage is not the best.  Nowadays, boats are equipped with side loading refrigerators.  The C34 is of the old design.  Actually, side loaders don't keep the cold in as well.  A couple hints to your issues.  You say you had to squeeze your knees between the dinette table and cushions.  Well, I am aware that when these boats are delivered, the dealer puts a 2-3" teak doughnut ring mounted between the pedestal and floor.  Apparently they miscalculated the table height clearance.  Mine has this from the start.  Maybe the original dealer that delivered the boat did not do this and the PO never noticed the problem.

V-berth removable cushion.  There should be a teak strip of wood on the forward bottom edge that locks into the molded fiberglass.  That keeps the cushion in place.  We sleep in the v-berth because it's more open and airy.  Plus you get air at anchor with the hatch open.

Aft cabin...yes, I've hit my head many times going in and it really hurts!  I've thought about sticking a closed cell foam protector there but never got around to do it.

I feel the comprimises on the things you mention are far outweighed with the impeccable sailing characteristics.

Hope this helps.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Peter,

Some additional links for you:

Icebox Management:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2991.0.html

Table pedestal info:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2618.0.html

Also, as I've noted in earlier posts, the newer boats have DIFFERENT saloon seat cushions.  The Mark I's have light cushions backed with vinyl.  The openings to the storage lockers below have the thin particle board covers.  It's pretty easy to simply flip up the cushions to lower the table.

The Mark II's have the particle board attached to the bottom of the cushions which makes them way heavier and quite, to my mind, cumbersome to move.  That's probably why many have found it a chore to move the cushions to get the table down.  Until I actually got on a Mark II and saw the "new" arrangement, I didn't understand the issue.

I agree with Roc about the head knocker - just a few weeks ago a guest kept hitting his head, and I reminded myself about that idea someone had:  buy a big pool noodle and cut it and mount it on the edge.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

Peter,
I agree with the comments the others have made. I've sailed larger Beneteaus in Thailand, Greece, BVI etc....sure its nice to have more storage and room but one always has to plan your fridge/ice box storage on any boat if out longer than 3 or 4 days.
The Catalina 34 has the best of all worlds in terms of manageable size, sailing, comfort and cruising for a few weeks (with the odd stop to re-provision).

Sounds to me like you need to see the back end of your 28 move out so as to suitably "bond" with your new 34.
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Phil Spicer

Peter
As you come down the steps into your 34 stop & look around. Look at the open space. It's like a big family room. I haven't found anything like this in a boat this size. My wife & I really like the space. Take out the table & you really have a family room. Make a smaller table if you want to sit there to eat. Store the big table, pull it out for sleeping. A mod here & there & the boat is yours, the way you like it.
  My wife likes to read at the table so the table holds the book. The v-berth is for two things, & reading isn't on the list. If you must read, pack some pillows in the corner under the light. Take your time & get to know your 34. You will enjoy it more each year.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.