Re-torquing keel bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I would like the collective wisdom on re-torquing the keel bolts.  Should this be done as a preventive measure?  Or if I don't have a problem, just leave it.  The way I think, the joint doesn't move, it doesn't have thermal stress, it should not change from the factory.
I don't have a problem now.  This is my first out of the water season with this new to me boat.  So I am asking for advice.  Looks like a simple job, so I was just going to do it.  But sometimes its better just to leave alone.
See how I can debate myself and loose.
Shamrock is a 2001 (hull 1570) wing keel, if that makes any difference.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

I would do it for piece of mind if nothing else.  Things stretch, compress, etc over time, can't hurt to make sure it is up to spec.  You will need the special socket, a standard one won't work.  They are around, I have one (you pay mailing both ways) if you can't find one locally.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

karista

For what's it worth, I am the original owner, the boat is now 18 years old, I have never touched the keel bolts and my bilge is dry.
If your bilge is dry and you have no obvious problem, why would you want to mess with it? :?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Ron Hill

Sham : I've re-torqued mine and a few other C34s. 
In all we found some nuts tight and some loose. 
It would seem to me that you want all of nuts/bolts under the same stress; not some taking more of a load than others!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Wey

Guys, this is on my to do list. I think, I remember an article where the boat has to be in the water when keel bolts are torqued. Can you confirm this?

Regards,
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Ron Hill

Mark : You remember just the opposite!!  The boat MUST be on land, so the weight is off of the keel. 
Otherwise you'd be trying to crank up a 5600 lb(C34 wing) keel with a socket??? 
I was surprised on the number of turns that some of the nuts needed!!  I believe it's just good insurance.  I don't believe it's one of those maintenance items that needs to be checked more than once - twice at the most!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Sayian

As an addendum to Ron, the torque spec for the keel bolts is 115 ft lbs.  I sent for the keel bolt drawing from Catalina when I got my MK II.  Sorry, I don't remember what the tolerance is as the drawing is on the boat.  The specs are the same for fins, wings, MK I, 1.5 and II.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Hawk

Ken mentioned a special socket.....is there a size or spec for it?
Better have a look at those keel bolts myself..........
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Hawk : The exact spec (I used 107 ft lbs) isn't that important.  The special socket is that it usually has to be 4 inches deep to fit over the keel bolt.  I made a T-bar (see Projects) and usually one can't over torque. 
The most important thing about torque is that all of the nuts are all torqued to the same tightness !! 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks Ron. I'll check the Projects for your T-bar.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35