New Engine Type in 2008 C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

I was just looking at the local Catalina dealer (Eastern Yacht Sales) and they have a new 2008 C-34 listed with a 30 H.P. Yanmar engine instead of the normal Universal engines.

Anybody seen this before or am I in the dark?

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

tonywright

This would not be the first time that a dealer makes a mistake in the specifications of a listed boat. I am pretty sure it is still the Universal M35.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

HBDave

I wouldn't be supprised. The 2008 C-34 is probally now made in Florida. Therefore things maybe differrent.
Dave
1990 - 988

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dgill

You can specify the Universal engine when you order a new C34.  A friend bought one last year and did just that - he did not want the Yanmar.   :thumb:
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Does anyone have any comparisons of the Universal over the Yanmar? I've heard allot of good things about the Yanmar but no direct experience. Did your friend choose the Universal because he was more familiar with it or because he felt the quality and construction was better?
From what I've heard about the M35, I'm glad I have the M25xp just for the easier maintenance access, so I think that would be MY deciding factor, having good and easy access for maintenance.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Mike and Joanne
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

I have not had any personal experience with Yanmars.  Gerry went for them for some reason, which I do not know.

Here's what I've picked up over the years:

1.  Yanmars don't have glow plugs.  It's one less circuit to install on the boat.  Would seem to mean higher compression ratios for cold weather starts.  Haven't heard anything negative about being able to start when it's cold.
2.  Yanmars have a good worldwide repair base.
3.  Yanmars, based on my experience on www.catalinaowners.com, has been that when they overheat the very first thing Yanmar owners say is "Check your exhaust riser" -- for some reason it seems Yanmars cake up the nipple in the exhaust riser MUCH more than has been our experience with Universals.  Yanmar owners continually report that they have to clean out their risers at the nipples.  Advantage for us Universal owners? ::: We don't have that problem, we just wait until the entire riser completely and catastrophically fails! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Terry Forshier

My last boat was an Oday 30 with a 2QM15 Yanmar. It was a great engine. I did replace the riser once. I used it all over the West Coast of Florida, it never failed to start up and ran like a champ.(always warm here though). I do not like warming up the glow plugs and have had several issues with this Universal. (I was able to fix them all though) just another perspective. Still I would have prefered a Yanmar. Terry

Ron Hill

Steve : That Yanmar 30 hp engine could have been ordered by the first owner.  Also if the Catalina factory ran short of M35 engines (also in the C36) they have been known to call the prospective C34 owner and ask if it's OK to replace the Universal with a Yanmar. 
I doubt that another owner would have "down engined" from a Universal 35hp to a Yanmar 30hp.

Guys/Susan : Both the Yanmar and the Universal are good engines.  I have no experience in the reliability and maintainability of the Yanmar, but I'm sure it's similar to the Universal. 
Parts now, is another thing!!! Yanmar has the parts market locked up and you surely won't go down to your Kubota dealer and purchase parts at 1/3 to1/2 the marina price.  Something to think about as the engine ages.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

r_bond

I have a Yanmar 3JE2H in "Trinity", my 2003 34.  It's been a terrific engine.  No issues is exhaust riser, cold starts, etc.  Very reliable engine.
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Did it come from the factory with that engine or was it changed out for some reason?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

hump180

Although I do like my Universal, I would have preferred a Yanmar. The boat I learned to sail on (Hunter31) had a 18 HP Yanmar. Smooth, very quick starting, no glowlugs. 
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

r_bond

The Yanmar in Trinity is original equipment.  I assume the PO ordered her that way.
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig