autohelm squeeks

Previous topic - Next topic

iwillmott

I have a 91 c34-the autohelm has started to squeek after about one hour of use. The power unit is hardwired so not sure if that's a st4000 or just a 4000. Now don't laugh but I poured fresh water into the belt on the wheel while running and the squeek stopped but I would relly like to know if there is a need for TLC inside the wheel housing.

Tom Soko

iwillmott,
If the motor unit is hardwired to the rest of the boat, then you have the original 4000 as I do, and not the ST4000.  I remember reading in the manual that lubricants should NOT be used inside the casing that encloses the belt.  In fact, I think that a fresh water rinse was exactly what they recommended.  If anyone has the manual handy, please confirm. 
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

crieders

some oily substance dripped out of my drive unit but it still works fine. Anything to do about that?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

iwillmott

water seems to work tho what's the cause? No oil leakage anywhere-noise appears to come from the belt inside wheel housing......

Stu Jackson

The November 2008 Mainsheet magazine has a discussion of this issue with photos in the C320 Tech Notes pullout section, page T16.

It's just one of the advantage of being a C34 IA member is that you get the magazine with great articles about our C34s, but also very good information about other boats with similar issues.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."