Library

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Right now the drawer under my v-berth is stuffed full of books.

I am looking for a spot to locate a bookshelf.  I want a place to store full sized manuals, cruising guides, etc.   

Has anyone addressed this?  Where do you keep them?   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

We keep ours behind the sliding black doors in three ring binders, and in a teak magazine rack above the nav station (see picture).

I keep most of our big manuals at home, and use the internet to print out copies of useful daily-type manuals, like the regulator and the Link 2000, which have features and functions that are too many to remember.  I keep them in file folders.  The autopilot manual is small enough to keep in that rack, too.  We call the magazine rack our "library." :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roger Blake

I keep all my boat and accessory manuals in the forward cabinet above the starboard settee. The basic systems (steering, engine, etc) and Catalina manuals are in 2 binders (3 ring). All others are in an appropriate size sealable clear plastic bag (similar to a zip lock)...then each of these are in one large sealable clear plastic bag. Keeps everything organized, dry, and in easy access.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Steve : I have 4 book racks and one storage shelf for tech manuals.  One is where Stu has his, another on the port bulkhead (small) entering the Vberth, another on the port side shelf (large) inside the vberth and another on the starboard (small) inside of the Vberth.  The tech manuals are on the starboard side hull wall held in place with a shock cord on the Vberth shelf. 
Guess that I should take some pictures. 
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Ron.  I'd love to see some pictures whenever you have a chance.  A little magazine rack isn't going to cut it for me.   We'll be adding school books into the mix as well...

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Bobg

above the roof of the wet locker, and on the wall that separates the head from the nav station, I installed a shelf.  It has a side wall and a 4" rail on the front.  we also have a microwave on the wet locker roof, the installed book shelf is fasened to the wall about 6' up from the microwave.  works well for us and that was a lot of unused space until now.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands