Galley Shelf

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Michael,

OK, you caught me mixing metals. 

If this is not too confusing.... I used a piece of aluminum bar stock ($2.50 - 1/2" thick 1"x7").  I drilled and countersunk 5ea 5/16" holes (3 for into the counter and 2 for the 7/8" stainless steel tubes).  I bought 2ea Aluminum Spacers ($2ea) 3/4" OD x .257" ID x 1" long and used a tap to cut 5/16" NC threads in the aluminum spacer.  I used ss machine screws to attach the spacers to the bar stock and slipped it into the ends of the 7/8" stainless steel tubes.  I used a dremel tool with a polishing wheel to shine the whole thing up so it would look more like the stainless steel.

I hope you could followed all that!  It worked great and was cheap.  The whole thing seems very strong.

I only have a picture of the base after drilling the holes but when I go back to the boat, I'll take a better picture.

As for socializing, that was part of staying with the open shelf.  I invited the locals from the marina in for consultation.  With everyone in the cabin and after several beers, we decided that the prototype was not interfering with the conversation and it was given the stamp of approval...

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

Quote from: Rick Johnson on December 02, 2008, 05:10:50 PM
Michael,

OK, you caught me mixing metals...  

Don't you hate it when they catch you like that?   Stu is really bad.   He always drags these confessions out of me that embarass me in front of my fellow sailors...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Ah, the joy  :clap  of it - boat fires and mixed metals.  Hope you at least put Lanocote between the dissimilar metals! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Closer, but still trying to add all the suggestions...

Jack Hutteball

Beautiful job Rick, makes me want to modify the one on our Mk ll :clap
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Rick Johnson

Done!

Except for the wine glass rack.....

Rick

P.S. Yes, the corners are walnut, not teak.  Cuz, I had them laying around the shop...

Allan.SVCarina

Excellent job, you should be very proud of the job you have done.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Susan Ray

Beautiful work!!...where did you get Walnut corners? (Before they were laying around shop).
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Rick Johnson

When I lived in SoCal, I would stop at Minney's Yacht Surplus about every weekend.  There were always odds and ends of teak molding to buy for next to nothing.  I bought 4 of the walnut corners for $1.95 each.  The color looks closer in-person, and I decided it makes the shelf more interesting.  Now I have to figure out some type of brackets for the dishware.  I've decided I don't like the idea of the dowels.

Cheers,

Rick

And the v-berth project is still waiting to be finished....