Galley Shelf

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

OK, new project for the week.  I want to add some additional storage space and really like the look of the galley shelves that Catalina now installs.  My only issue is it seems too small.  I also like the idea of lots of places to grab hold when moving in the cabin.  I'm thinking I'll add a shelf 1'x4' and use a 1" stainless steel tube to support the far end.  It appears that I might just have room to drill a 1" hole between the edge of the sink and the end of the counter.  I'll add a teak block and SS round stanchion base to the overhead to support the other end.  This should be strong enough to hang on to if needed. and provide a strong support the the shelf.

The top of the shelf will be Formica with holes drilled for 1/4" pegs to keep the the dishes from sliding around (dish storage was the main purpose of the shelf idea).  I was even thinking I'll cut a piece of teak with holes in the ends (also slots) and bolts/wing nuts. Slip the teak over the top of the pegs, tighten the wing nuts and the dishes stay in place even in heavy weather... 

I'm still thinking about how to secure the other end.

Comments?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Tom Soko

Rick,
Looks like a nice idea.  Perhaps you could secure the outboard end with a piece of SS piano hinge on the underside?  It would spread the load to multiple smaller screws.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Rick Johnson

Almost done...

I'm not sure if I want to add a center support...

Cheers,

Rick

Allan.SVCarina

Very Nice!!!!  Did you go al the way through the core with your bolts (last Picture)?
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Rick Johnson

Allan,

I now have the teak trim ready to install (darn pricey) and I need to glue on the Formica on the underside.  The teak block is varnished and ready to go.  I'll post a "finally done" picture in the next few days.

The teak block is held in place with 4ea. #12 x 1 1/2 inch ss screws.  They penetrate the overhead by about 3/4 of an inch (this is not completely through the deck.  I was also going to use 4200 to add to the strength.  I worry about using 5200, just in case I need to remove the block someday.

Cheers,

Rick

waterdog

Quote from: Rick Johnson on November 29, 2008, 03:26:07 PM
Almost done...

I'm not sure if I want to add a center support...

Cheers,

Rick

Rick, looks great!  You probably have some flex in the middle right now, but if you are running teak fiddles front and back of any depth, you'll probably find it gets very rigid and doesn't need any center support.  Your screws and a little dab of 4200 are more than adequate for your overhead mount - you're just dealing with a lateral load (shear forces on the screws) no bearing weight and you definitely don't want through bolts on this application. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Oh and before you glue the formica on, route a little channel down the middle of the shelf a measured distance from the edge. Drop a messenger string into the channel.  Because as soon as you finish, there will be a call to add under shelf lighting and you'll be able drill a neat hole through the formica and pull wires though the channel with the string and they will be perfectly hidden and neat...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Or just go ahead and put the wire in now!   :santa
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

Who are we kidding?   Go ahead and mount the lights now while you have the thing upside down.

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Rick Johnson

OK, I thought about adding wiring to the shelf but had decided against it.  I was thinking I'll just add a battery powered led under counter light....  I did notice while admiring my work (and drinking Irish Beer), that the wine glass rack would fit nicely.

Cheers,

Rick

Stu Jackson

Rick, very nicely done.  One thought about your lighting:  I've been that route -said "sure, easier with battery lights."  I tried it once and kicked myself for not installing wired-in lighting - it's sooooo much easier in the future and you never have to worry about batteries or changing them.  Our lighting is in the pictures and an article in Projects.  We put the switches just forward of the galley that you can see in the pictures:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-aquavite.html  With low draw LEDs it's no drain on the house bank.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

OK, it does take me a while to get the message, but you are all giving the same advice.  I'll cut the slot and install the wiring. Cuz, you are so right that it would be a pain if I decided it needed a light later... 

Thanks,

Rick

DaveM

Looks great.  Excellent idea.  Got me thinking about our O'Day.  One part I am missing is how are you securing the shelf to the vertical stainless steel tubing. Thanks
Good Winds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Rick Johnson

From my "other boat parts store".

Part Number:                      9943K27     $15.08 Each
Type                                    Set Screw
System of Measurement    Inch
Material                            Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Material         Type 316 Stainless Steel
Finish                            Plain
Bore Size                       7/8"
Outside Diameter             1-1/2"
Width                            9/16"
Screw Size                     5/16"-18
Set/Cap Screw Material      Type 316 Stainless Steel
Specifications Met           Not Rated

Michael Algase

Rick,

Is that SS support structure on the outboard (inboard) end a stock item?  Looks like prefab, and it certainly would not pay to have it custom fabricated.  Is it a West Marine part?

I read the thread a couple of times and did not see it in there.

Just curious.  I am not sure the captain wants a shelf there, as it gets in the way of socalizing with cabin residents from the galley, but just in case . . . .

Michael

Michael Algase

Tranquilizer
'86 # 91, SR, FK