Riggid boom vang and upgrade gooseneck

Previous topic - Next topic

289cobra1

I am interested in upgrading to a Garhauer riggid boom vang. My boom has a swivel allowing the boom to turn. I will need to change the gooseneck to prevent the boom from rotating. Has anyone else done his upgrade?

waterdog

I have done the vang but not the gooseneck. 

What would you like to know?
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Rotating in what direction?  Even if so, once you install the rigid vang the boom will only go sideways  :shock: because you have to screw the boom end of the vang into the bottom of the boom.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

I have the stock vang.  The rotation on the gooseneck allows for easy mainsail removal.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ken Heyman

i did the same installation this season. I was also concerned about the rotation. After numerous discussions with Garhauer, I opted to "let it rotate". It's been fine. The downward moment from the vang prevents the boom from torquing.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

289cobra1

Thank you for the input. I guess I will try it without changing or adapting the goose neck. I was concerned that the boom could still rotate and bend the boom bracket. My boat does not have a vang now. For the little extra cost I can upgrade to a rigid vang instead on nonrigid vang.