leak at drain

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

i am getting some water into the head when it rains. by opening the cabinet in the head the location is easily located. it appears to come from the exterior drain on the port side. i put silicon on the recessed drain where there are some hairline cracks in the gelcoat. still leaks. i think the problem is the finger size hole leading from the deck to the boat exterior. has anyone had to repair such a problem.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Ted Pounds

Are there any cracks on the underside of that scupper recess?  They have no glass reinforcement and I had the one in my aft cabin crack and leak.  To fix it I had to glass and epoxy over the bottom.  Also I think there's a stanchion very close to that scupper?  That may be the source of the leak...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

joe

there are two stancions, one on each side of the drain, but the leak is directly beneath the drain. i guess i need to take a water hose and some kids clay and systematically eliminate sources.
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Ted Pounds

If you're going to plug the hole in the scupper and fill it up with water to see if it leaks that sounds like a good idea.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Water will travel quite a distance before it drips.  My guess would be one of the stanchions, which ever one is up hill of the scupper.  Gravity guides the water to the scupper where it eventually drips off.  Might also want to use some duct tape rather than the clay.  Cover the drain hole on the scupper side, fill the scupper with water check for leaks.  Repeat after moving the tape to the outside hull side. Would determine if the leak is inside the drain hole.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA