Question on purchasing a C34

Previous topic - Next topic

waynej

We are hoping to buy an '88 C34.  Had a survey on Friday, during a rain shower.  Thanks to the rain, we found leaks on 4 of the 6 chainplates.  Also a couple of soft spots on the deck when the surveyor did his tapping.  Couldn't test for moisture due to rain, but, he's supposed to go back Tuesday.  My questions are "Can the deck be repaired professionally to last and also look good cosmetically?, and, Will this repair affect the value of the boat down the road?"  We love the C34 and hope it works out.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Wayne - My concern would be that if something that obvious was ignored, what other maintenance has been ignored? Take a long, hard, close look. Deck repairs can be very expensive.

Craig

Michael Shaner

Wayne, hopefully the moisture level in the deck is only elevated due to the chain plate leaks and no core delamination has occurred. Your surveyor will let you know. If all is well, you can dry it out and rebed as in Mr. Jackson's link. We'll be tackling that ourselves this spring. While shopping for our C34 we ruled one out due to the cockpit having been recored. The repair was done by a reputable yard. Structurally it seemed very strong, aesthetically it turned us away. Matching the nonskid pattern is very difficult but there must be folks out there that can do it. Good luck man...whatever happens, stick with the C34...it is a FANTASTIC boat...and the collective wisdom in this forum is unmatched!  :thumb:
Michael & Alison Shaner

hump180

Quote from: waynej on November 17, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
We are hoping to buy an '88 C34.  Had a survey on Friday, during a rain shower.  Thanks to the rain, we found leaks on 4 of the 6 chainplates.  Also a couple of soft spots on the deck when the surveyor did his tapping.  Couldn't test for moisture due to rain, but, he's supposed to go back Tuesday.  My questions are "Can the deck be repaired professionally to last and also look good cosmetically?, and, Will this repair affect the value of the boat down the road?"  We love the C34 and hope it works out.

waynej's discovery of the leaking chainplates in the rain is the primary reason that I suggested in my mini web log http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4635.0.html, to not seal the chainplates at the headliner as indicated on this site http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-chain-plate-rebedding.html. If waynej's survey boat would have been sealed as such, the leaks may not have been detected. This goes for all of our boats. If we seal at the headliner we have no way to detect a leak, as it will be contained in the core above the headliner, where the damage is done. I would much rather see a couple drops of water after a rain and know it is time to rebed before expensive damage occurs.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ken Juul

As you get used to the board you will find the search function great.

A thread about nonskid repair (one of several) http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4555.0.html

Most reported wet cores are around the chain plates or the stanchions.  Both instances are fairly easy to repair.  If it is another area then evaluation of the repair costs will be required.  In either case a proper repair will help the boats value not hurt it.  Lots of good suggestions on color matching can be found using the search also.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA