Edson Pedestal Brake Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

Our boat is a 2004. While greasing the chain yesterday, I decided to check as to why our brake has never functioned well. Outside snap ring was in place, both hex screws were tight as were all screws in the housing and there was no grease on the brake material. With the knurled nob tightened, the wheel still turns easily. It seems as if the rod that goes through to the brake is about an 1/8" to short to fully push against the braking mechanism. If I place a screwdriver tip between the brake and the housing then it works fine when tightened.
Anybody with similar experiences. Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ron Hill

Can : I believe that you have a question that should be asked to Edson!!  I'm sure they have an answer.
Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

I agree with Ron. I had a similar problem with my 2004 in its second season. Edson knew exactly what the problem was and the correction. Wish I could remember exactly what I did, but I believe that the hex screws seemed tight, but they were not seated into their indents, and therefore not functioning correctly. Careful not to drop them down the pedestal.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ron Hill

When you call Edson, talk to Will Keen (one of the Keen brothers that own Edson).  He's great to talk to and like Catalina the "President of a company" - will talk to you!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ray & Sandy Erps

Maybe the brake pad material is wore out?  I bought replacement pads from West Marine.  They just glue in.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

canuck

Problem solved...set screws were not fully seated as shaft was not far enough in. Also reset both set screws with blue thread locker as advised by Edson.