Folding props

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Pounds

Quote from: John Langford on November 13, 2008, 08:57:24 PM
That is not a problem with the Kiwi feathering prop. It bolts easily on to the standard shaft

Ditto for the Flex-O-Fold.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

tonywright

From havbing had one of each, I can confirm that both the Maxprop and the J-Prop require that a small amount of length be removed from the screw threads at the end of the shaft. These are both feathering props, not folding.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bill Asbury

Tony, my boat came with a Max-Prop and I've been quite satisfied with it.  What is/was your experience?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

tonywright

I loved it. I had the two blade. Great power in both forward and reverse. No prop walk. Such a great piece of engineering it is like a work of art.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

sail4dale

I did not need any shaft changes to mount my 3 blade 15" x 10 Flex-O-Fold It did need a deep socket wrench however.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

crieders

I have had a flex o fold for many seasons. It does go thru Cutlass Bearings like a hot knife thru butter. A friend of mine who owns a machine shop made a pressing tool for me so I can change the bearing frequently w/o pulling the shaft. My shaft does not seem to be the problem but perhaps as it ages, that will cause more Cutlass Bearing wear. I like the flex but there is a kiwi prop that is made of composite, gets good reviews and naturally is very light.  I wonder what folks think of that.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022