Folding props

Previous topic - Next topic

289cobra1

I am considering upgrading to a folding prop. I currently have a Universal M25 (1986) with a 3 blade 16x10. The prop works great except for the drag. The prop walk is to port that helps me pulling into my slip. The boat is used in Maine with currents, lobster pots, and the boat is moored in a slip. I am leaning towards a flexafold 3 blade due its' value, reduced drag, and resitence to fouling on lobster pots. I would like to have input on size, backing ability, and overall performance. Should I be considering a feathering prop instead? I have read some of the input, but need more info as far as the reverse performance.

Ted Pounds

I loved my Flex-O-Fold 3 blade.  It backs well.  Prop walk is still there, but actually a little reduced from the fixed 3 blade.  Talk to Chuck Angle at Flex-O-Fold and he'll fix you up with exactly what you need.  They usually have boat show deals in the winter, by the way.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Wayne

I second Ted's comments.  Backs fine.  For me, just about the right amount of prop walk to be useful but not overpowering.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

seanmcelligott

I would be intersted in buying your 3 bladed prop if you decide to upgrade.
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Steve S.

I really like the 3 blade flex-o-fold.  I get at least 1/2 knot extra speed on a reach and prop-walk is reduced.  I have the same engine as you and got the 15x10.   You can go 15x9, which will give you a little more torque but a little less speed. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Braxton

I also have the flex-o-fold 3 blade and am quite happy with it.   Chuck Angle also gets an enthusiastic thumbs up.   His responsiveness would be a major selling point for me if I were buying a prop now.

If straight line reverse performance is a big deal for you then you won't be able to beat a feathering prop.   No fixed or folding prop will match it.   However the flex-o-fold performance in reverse is far from unacceptable.   I'm getting used to the amount of prop walk that it gives the boat and am learning to use it to our advantage.  Our slip is such that the kick to port is quite useful and I expect that I would miss it if it magically stopped happening.

One difference with the flex-o-fold is that the three blade has the gears covered with a zinc.   Supposedly this has the dual purpose of providing the standard zinc corrosion protection to the propeller as well providing physical protection against something (a barnacle perhaps) of fouling the gears.   Maintaining the zinc will boost you maintenance costs a very small amount.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Ron Hill

289 : Which ever way you go (fold or feather); I'd recommend that you stick with a 15" diameter prop.  Props over that 15" diameter can produce buffeting against the hull.  A thought. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

289cobra1

Thank you for all the input. I was surprised to see I had a 16" diameter. As long as I still have good backing power and retain some of my prop walk I will be happy. In my case I like the prop walk pulling into my slip.

sail4dale

Yeah, I have a Flex-o-fold too replacing my three blade fixed.  Love it

However, If  you want a fixed three blade I have one available.  Bronze, 1" shaft, 15" D. x 9 pitch.

I'm open to offers.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Ed Shankle

I'm considering the Flexofold as well; those of you who have had it for a while, have you noticed any impact on the cutlass bearing due to the added weight?

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

sail4dale

three years and no effect that I can see (feel)
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Braxton

Is it really that much heavier?   I certainly haven't weighed mine vs. the original prop but just looking at it it seems as if the flex-o-fold has less mass to it.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

kurt

I recently went from a 15x9 fixed 3 blade to a 15x10 3 blade folder from flexofold on my '88 25xp.  Net-net when motoring, I can't tell it is a folder which was the reason I selected 3 blades - maybe a bit less prop walk in reverse but small amount that one forgets quickly.  While when sailing, performance has become very noticeable especially in the light stuff < 12 knots which is unforgettable.  Finally, the hub of the prop is quite sizeable when in hand vs. photos on the web.  Wouldn't surprise me that it is a bit heavier than the fixed orop...

Kurt 

Ron Hill

Guys : Here is a "heads up". 
On some of the folding feathering props the larger size of the hub (holding the feathering/folding mechanism) requires that the threaded end of the prop shaft be modified!!! 
Check into this before, so you aren't surprised when your new prop arrives!! 
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

That is not a problem with the Kiwi feathering prop. It bolts easily on to the standard shaft
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S