Secondary Winch Size (For Spinnaker)

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt

Hello,

I'm evaluating adding a symmetrical spinnaker to my '88 C34.  On that note, what size winches are recommended for the secondary's in the cockpit for Spinnaker Sheets?

Thanks,

Kurt

Tom Soko

Kurt,
I have used Lewmar 30 CST winches as secondaries (same as on the cabintop), and they have worked out well.  Probably don't need something as big as the primaries (46-48?), but it's your boat and your decision!
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ted Pounds

I always used my primaries for the spinn sheets since I never flew spinnaker and genoa at the same time.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Gary Brockman

My boat was set up to race by the original owner.  I went over to my boat at lunch time (10 minutes away from my office) to check my secondaries and found that they are Lewmar 30's.

- Gary -
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ron Hill

Like Ted I use the primary #46 winches.  Because the spinnaker sheet lines are smaller diameter and tend to fall out of the self tailer, I use and extra wrap or 2. 
I also use a new Lewmar #16 for the tack control line.  That little winch also holds the roller furling line for the 150% Genoa.   
Ron, Apache #788

sail4dale

I use double turning blocks with locks so the use of the primary winch is very viable.  It's a lot cheaper and less weight than two winches.  Those locks are quite handy for general purposes.  If the turning block has no lock they can be bought for conversion.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

dave davis

Kurt,
Glad to hear you are going spinnaker. Our 1 design is getting stronger.
My 88 uses 46 primary and 30 on the cabin top. I run the spinnaker guys to the primary and the spin sheets go to 40 which are mounted aft of the 46. If I were to re due the Spin sheets, I would use a 30 instead of the 40. The 40's are more than you need in my opinion. I have all self tail. You might want to look at Wind Dragon  set up on E27 and look at Ray's set up on D dock. Both SBH.
Good Luck
Dave

Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

rirvine

Crew's Nest has Harken 40's (not self tailing) mounted behind the primary winches for the spinnaker sheets. The primary winches are used for the spinnaker aft guys. The cabin top winches (self tailing Lewmar 30's) are use for the fore guys / mainsheet / topping lift when going down wind.  Be free to come by D040 at SBH to check it out. {Why Harken - I got them on a special sale - 2 for the price of one Lewmar 40}

Ray