cutlass bearing replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

iron horse

I have a bit of slack/slop between the shaft and bearing may more than 1/16 in but not 1/8th. Want to make the long trek back to the great lakes from inidantown fl. any thoughts on this and how do I change the thing if warranted?

tonywright

Hi and welcome

I recommend that you use the search tool (top right of your screen)  for more information. Since this subject has been covered quite a bit, you should find lots of useful info, such as this from a Ron Hill post back in 2005 (Ron, I hope you don't mind me quoting you here!):

"Yes, you can change the cutlass without pulling the shaft. 
You should however, inspect the area of the shaft that's inside the cutlass for wear.  I found that mine (bronze) was worn and scored, so I elected to replace it with a stainless shaft.  All you need to do, with the boat out of the water is remove the 4 bolts that couple the flange to the Xmission.  Then slide the shaft aft 6 inches and inspect that area.

On removing the cutlass, first inspect the strut and determine if yours is pressed in or held in with allen screws.  Most C34's are pressed in which is what I suspect you have.  Many boat yards have a special tool that will squirt the cutlass out manually or hydraulically.   With the tool it's an easy process only taking minutes.  Then the tool will compress the new cutlass back into the strut. 

The new cutlass should be a "Blackfish"  1" x 1 1/4" x 4 " , if you have a 1" drive shaft (which I suspect you have)."

Any slop in the cutlass bearing is a concern, and you will need to discover the cause and fix it. In my case the PO had had the shaft painted with antifouling, which blocked the bearing from getting necessary lubrication.  Useually it is caused by improper engine alignment.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

iron horse

Thanks for the info. I have the boat on the hard in Fla but 2000 miles to Georgian Bay is a lot of engine hours. Think 400 hrs going south.

Footloose

If you have any movement replace the bearing.  You have a long trip ahead.  Failure is the last thing you want as it will mean hauling the boat to have it repaired.  The noise from a worn cutlass bearing can cause you to be concerned if nothing else.

I replaced mine last year.  Did the job myself.  Not the hardest or easiest of jobs.  I had some difficulty getting the shaft out of the coupling to the transmission.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

seanmcelligott

The Catalina 36 owners website will let you use their cutlass bearing removal tool.  Click on the tom sentor's toolbox link. They are a good bunch of folks, and they ship the tool around to whoever needs it.  I did mine last winter took 2 hours, bearing costs very little.
Sean K. McElligott
"Ringle" 1988 Hull Number 758
Black Rock, CT

Tom Soko

Sean,
A slight clarification.  The cutless bearing tool is available as a free loaner to all C36IA members, and not to the general public.  You simply pay for the postage.  You can join C36IA as a supporting member (without Mainsheet) for as little as $20.  This is a good time of year to request the tool.  In the spring the wait can be a long one.  Oh, and thanks for the compliment!  You guys aren't bad, either!!

Tom Sokoloski
C36IA Commodore
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Guys : You may want to check with your local C34 Fleet.  They may have a cutless removal tool likeFleet 12, which also has 4 or 6 other special tools (Loes gage/laser tack/compression gage/keel bolt tightening system/etc.
We buy tools rather than spend money on Parties/Regattas. 
Ron, Apache #788

karista

Why can't we do the same as the Catalina 36 Association has done??? :cry4`
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Stu Jackson

Because it takes some volunteers to make that happen.  Anyone???
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Rick : Like Stu said, "Somebody needs to volunteer" to be the KEEPER of the tool box. 
This entails sending the tools out, insuring the tools come back and inspecting the tools when they return to make sure they are still serviceable.  It ONLY takes time and volunteers
Ron, Apache #788

prh77

I would be happy to be the keeper "O" the tool box.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Steve S.

It's a good idea, but let me take Ron's message one step further.  Fleet 12 has a tool, and it has served us (and me) well.   Note that the tool is very heavy and bulky.  I only live 20 miles from the keeper of the tool, so it was easy to get and return, all in one day.   Shipping it all over the country may be very expensive and not make much sense.  I don't know how the 36 guys do it, but it may be best for individual fleets to buy their own.  Think global, act local.  Just a suggestion.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay