holding tank and hose odours

Previous topic - Next topic

iwillmott

Probably everyone has had this problem;odours from under the port settee and the locker by the nav table. I have been told to change the hoses but do the platic 1991 model tanks emit strage smells?

ian

Stu Jackson

The tanks rarely emit odors.  It's usually the hoses.  Also, most importantly, check the vent line for clearance.  Peggie Hall has written a very good book on boat odors, available at www.catalinaowners.com

Specifically, here: http://shop.catalinaowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?fno=20&sku=35576&cat=1306

If you go to co.com, you can search on "odors" and smells" and read some of Peggie's input to their message board where she explains, time and time again, how to remove odors, in addition to replacing hoses (which is a very good first step).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

I had the same problem, I found some of the hose clamps were loose, the one on the macerator was real loose.  sewer gas can leak out of the smallest places, The odor seems to have went away after that, like Ron says, "a thought"
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

frankr

After messing with cleaning the bilge for two years with many solutions trying to rid the boat of "the boat smell", this year I replaced all the head sanitary hoses - the hose from the head to the holding tank, from the holding tank to the pump out and even the vent hose. It made an immediate difference - but we still had a lingering odor. So I replaced the sink drain hoses also. This removed the last of the boat odor.

Mike Vaccaro

As stated, the hoses are the key (along with proper holding tank ventilation).  Good hose, Odor Safe, etc., doesn't come cheap and it's a bit difficult to install due to limited flexability, but it's worth it.  I second reading Peggy's book--it is the best treatise on marine sanitation for yachts you can get your hands on. 

One other common source of odor is the "flush" water in the head.  If your boat is in salt water, you might consider using your sink drain as a source of fresh water for flushing (avoid the temptation to tee-off a fresh water line since you'll risk the potability of your entire fresh water storage system).  Salt water that sits enclosed in the intake line of the head when not in use will develop a pretty strong odor.  A flush with some a bit of vinegar when you open up the boat will help.  Avoid the temptation to dump bleach or other cleaners into the head--they are hard on the internal head components and seals; and they don't do anything for the organic chemistry required in the holding tank.     

To ascertain if your hose has been permeated, you can wrap a wet rag around a section of it for a while, then remove the rag and sniff...if the rag smells, the hose has been permeated.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Bill Asbury

Ian, I agree with Mike's suggestion of using fresh water from the sink shower hose to flush the head.  The PO of my boat replumbed/removed the head intake hose to prevent 'critters' entering the holding tank from local waters and contributing to the odor problem.  He also highly recommended a product called Odorlos (not sure of spelling) as a holding tank additive to prevent odor, and I've been using it to good effect.
Best wishes,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Bill,

fresh water from the sink shower hose

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Head sink DRAIN line, yes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike B

Stu,

I must be missing something.  I don't understand the drain line comment.  When we are in our slip and have all the fresh water we want, we use water from the shower faucet to flush the head.  We leave the head switch on dry and just spray water into the bowl.  When we are away from the marina we use the normal wet salt water flush.

what am I missing here?

Stu Jackson

Understood, I mistook your comment to mean a direct connection.

I agree with you that fresh water makes sense, because it does "clean out" the critters in the pump line.  However, it doesn't clean out the stuff in the intake line from the thru hull to the pump.  I've discussed this a few times with Peggie Hall, who recommends Tee-ing into the head sink drain to eliminate ALL of the critters in the hoses to the head.  I have the parts.  Did I install them yet?

Instead of the hose, which sometimes drips water onto the seat and sole, I just use a large plastic cup, fill it either from the galley or head sink, and pour it into the bowl.  Seems a little easier and we don't have to hassle with slipping the head faucet hose back into the hole.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have my shower drain tee'd into my toilet intake, so that if I pump water out of the shower it will also clean and backflush the toilet intake. It will also clear a clog in the thru-hull if one should develop. Of course the line has to be looped above the waterline to prevent water from flowing back in but this should already be in place.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net