Amsteel / Dyneema Lifelines

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

I thought I saw something on this, but a search didn't show anything.   

I think I would like to do my lifelines out of one of the new high tech fibers.   Lighter weight.  Stronger.   I do the splices myself so I trust them more that a swage.  Any wear is readily visible on inspection.  Cheap.  Lasts a long time.

Anybody done it?  How do you like it?   How are the gates done?

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

DaveM

The following is a an exchange that occurred over on Brian Toss' site a while back.  Not a direct answer but provides you some more information.  I plan on replacing my coated wire with rope.
Good Winds
DaveM

I have noticed when the discussion of using rope for life lines, Sampson rope Amstel 12 comes up as being used. Their is a New England rope 12 braid that I think is called Endura. It has similar strength to Amstel 12 as well as treatment for chafe resistance. Is there a reason that Amstel 12 seems to always be used. Thanks

Good Winds
Dave M
s/v DAMWEGAS

I'm guessing that it's because Johnson, which made the rope kindly fittings specifies Amsteel. I've done about a dozen over that last couple of years and they seem to work quite well.

Cheers,

MikeR

Hello,
Amsteel has marketing muscle behind it, and bigger name recognition than New England, and I believe it was out first. We've used both, and they're both good, but I think New England's is a bit more durable and better-finished.
Fair leads,
Brion Toss

Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

waterdog

I found a nice presentation on this:

http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projects/amsteel_lifelines/Amsteel.pdf

This owner ran the lines straight through all his stanchions to the pelican hook.  Which is fine if you don't mind slack lifelines on an open gate.   I think I would use the Johnston eye to eye fitting at the gate stanchion and go for a lashing at the pulpit.   I would prefer to get away from turnbuckles. 

Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

DaveM

Waterdog

I agree with you.  The more I have looked at it I have decided to do lashing at the pulpit also.  Thanks for the reference.  The other caution I have heard was make sure that the inside pass through on the stantions are smooth to minimize chafe.  If concerned than use clear tubing going through the stantion holes.

Good Winds
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

windrunr

I replaced the vinyl stainless life lines for the gates with Amsteel. I very pleased that I did that.  As you know the normal stainless life lines are not very flexible and always seem to be a challenge to get them out of the way and easy to trip over. The Amsteel lines coil up and am able to put them in sheet bag next to the gate.

I would recommend going with Amsteel or equivalent.

Standard Rig, Standard Keel

waterdog

Quote from: windrunr on November 03, 2008, 11:50:22 PM
I replaced the vinyl stainless life lines for the gates with Amsteel. I very pleased that I did that.  As you know the normal stainless life lines are not very flexible and always seem to be a challenge to get them out of the way and easy to trip over. The Amsteel lines coil up and am able to put them in sheet bag next to the gate.

I would recommend going with Amsteel or equivalent.

Are your gates spliced onto the eye from forward portion of the lifelines?   When you replace the rest of the lifeline, what will you do?   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

windrunr

The gate lifelines are eyespliced on each end. I had to buy an eye fitting to go into the pelican gate lock  that attached to the rear pulpit. I also bought small d-shackle to loop the eye and attach to the lifeline eye on stanchion.

I plan to replace the rest of my existing 21 year old vinyl stainless lifelines that have corrosion where the vinyl has stripped away with all stainless wire. The reason is that cost wise it is slightly cheaper than Amsteel, I will never have to worry about trying to keep the vinyl clean, and the stainless is virtually invisible unless you are close to the boat. In addition I do not plan to raced and not worrying about trying to minimize  the weight that the Amsteel would provide.

I will take some photos this weekend on my gate lifelines this weekend and post them.

Standard Rig, Standard Keel