Blue Tarp Winter Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

For those of you who go on the cheap and use a blue tarp, 15x20, as I have for many years, here are some suggestions.  Buy a roll of 5" wide stretch film, I think Home Depot sell them, or Uline or contact me.  Cut a length of heavy PVC pipe to go from the split in the back stay to  several feet past the end of boom. Place the pipe up against the V and use the stretch film to secure it around the back stay.  On the boom, wrap the film around the boom and the pipe stretching the film as you wrap.  The pole will stay secure all winter. I fit a tarp over the boom, cut a hole for the topping lift reinforce with duct tape and use line and water bottles, 3/4 full of water,  hung under the life lines and over the side,  to hold the cover as tight as possible and line to lace the tarp at the stern. I use the tarp grommets where possible and plastic tarp clamps.  I have done this when the boat is stored in the water and on land. One has to check over the winter as things happen and need to be repaired but I don't get rain,snow,ice or leaves in the cock pit which is the main concern and the area aft of the mast remains dry.  I have tried to protect the bow forward of the mast with limited success. A tarp will usually last 2 years depending on how hard the winter is.  If I had a new or newer boat I would consider the investment in a cover. It must work as one year I found 4 duck eggs nested among the main sheet.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Ken Heyman

I use a similar method with similar experience (duck eggs & all). I have used a crutch (from an old ankle injury) to extend aft of the boom to the backstay.-----works quite well. Forward of the mast I rig a spinnaker pole spanning from the mast to the forestay. in the past my tarp has gone over the life lines. This year i will try going under them to reduce the tendency of trapping ice and snow although the protection may not be quite as good.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il